Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Interesting article in the Guardian explaining why the Covid-19 outcomes vary so much in some cases – a few people are unable to produce sufficient interferon to combat viral infections.

This is the COVID Human Genetic Effort consortium behind it, and for those able to interpret such things, (i.e. not me), this appears to be the article in Science magazine.

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

That is indeed very interesting but I wonder what one can do about it, from the POV of the patient? Would this create another class of “vulnerable” people? It seems that additional isolation precautions for those people is the only way.

In the meantime, nearly 3000 Manchester Univ students (the future leaders of our civilisation, supposedly) are in isolation after huge parties. I know a university is supposed to be one huge p1ssup (especially in the first week or two when everyone is desperate to make friends; most of the kids have never before been away from home) but what are these people smoking? It’s obvious that whatever social media they are on is telling them they can’t catch it / if they catch it it won’t affect them.

It certainly squashes the often-mentioned position that “kids” don’t feature in the stats at all.

I feel sorry for the university staff…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fuji_Abound wrote:

I still find it hard to find any meaningful local data for the number of COVID infections?

It is NOT only the UK.

We do get the daily new infections proven in a lab (weekends are summarized on Monday now) and a total summary of infections since the beginning, last 7 and 14 days and, recently, positivity rate (tests vs positive results) which is about 4% right now, give or take 1%. We do not get the distribution of affected areas in any detail other than they keep telling us some rough share of cantons. Deduction gives you a picture which paints 3 hotspots: Zurich city, Geneva and the canton of Vaud, most likely (assumption) the city and environments of Lausanne.

The best site I’ve come across so far issued by a government is that of Bulgaria

It is well organized, has all the information you might want and then some, gives a daily breakdown about new infections in each oblast and also lists, in the news section, any kind of travel restriction imposed on Bulgarians abroad. There are sections showing the legal texts involved e.t.c. This is what I’d like to see on a European level.

Probably there are sites like that for other countries I did not look at, but for me, the Bulgarian site is a very good example.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@Mooney_Driver daily data per canton is available on the BAG website, you just have to look for it.

T28
Switzerland
EETU, Estonia

I think any country which has a lot of ethnic minorities within it will be resisting publishing detailed data. This has been said in as many words by UK officials, saying they don’t want the specific communities coming under attack.

I think one can see why certain countries are avoiding publishing detailed data! Bulgaria is probably not one of these; the Iron Curtain countries always avoided letting “foreigners” in… lots of terrible jokes about that But the “old” W. European countries, especially ones with a colonial past and the resulting issues, are.

This is fair enough I suppose, but the other side of the argument is that this is a “war”, and knowing that e.g. certain areas of a city should be avoided, is desirable.

It’s very frustrating…

Google Maps now has a CV19 layer, which (a) doesn’t work on some phones and (b) on my phone it shows the layer but shows absolutely nothing.

Administrator

T28 wrote:

aily data per canton is available on the BAG website, you just have to look for it.

how about a link then?

I’ve spent quite some time looking at the BAG site and found it quite unorganized in comparison.

It’s quite well organised to the contrary, the link is just below the weekly data.

https://covid-19-schweiz.bagapps.ch/de-2.html

Excel data just below that.

Last Edited by T28 at 26 Sep 14:51
T28
Switzerland

Thanks, I did not know that graphic.

Current UK situation

Care homes (again), education, and workplaces, mainly.

OTOH there is no useful data on test numbers. It is not thought that there are more tests recently, though.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message