Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Malibuflyer wrote:

It’s like if you put an 20.000hr A380 captain in a glider: Yes, he is also a pilot and he knows what that stick is for – but he will fail miserably already at the start on the winch…

Oh, we had one of those (actually, A320 captain) in our glider club a number of years back. He’d not flown gliders for a while, and had a rather ‘strong personality’ and refused to a flight with the CFI because he didn’t believe he needed it, and proceeded to cause a tug upset that could have been fatal had it gone on a moment longer than it did.

Andreas IOM

EuroFlyer wrote:

As you can see, over half of infections come from the blue areas – various living areas, private households, etc. Restaurants are very unlikely places. Shutting them down – again – is not the right measure, they don’t affect the health system.

Statistics from my region in Sweden shows a similar pattern.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

alioth wrote:

Oh, we had one of those (actually, A320 captain) in our glider club a number of years back. He’d not flown gliders for a while, and had a rather ‘strong personality’ and refused to a flight with the CFI because he didn’t believe he needed it, and proceeded to cause a tug upset that could have been fatal had it gone on a moment longer than it did.

The tug pilot couldn’t release the tow line?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Statistics from my region in Sweden shows a similar pattern.

all were following the guidelines without fuss

They do down here where I live, too.

You probably don’t have many Swedes who are going around demanding the right to see their friends and have a proper xmas, and have their local politicians demand the same… forgetting there is this thing going around called a “virus”.

Within Europe, and within any given country, there is a vast spectrum of compliance, not to say utter stupidity

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“I think the reason for the poor compliance is the UK’s governments lackadaisical and disjoined respsonse. If the message is unclear, inevitably so is the response”
While agreeing with this, ( for ALL the UK Governments) I think the news media have been much more culpable by giving uncritical publicity to any unqualified publicity seeker.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

MedEwok wrote:

There is no point in it. Masks do zero harm, and if they help only a little then we should be grateful for that and use them wherever people meet.

The problem is it takes focus away from things that do work: Social distance and hygiene. You enter a crowded place, just put on a mask and it is “OK”. IMO I find it rather strange that masks is such a big symbol, when there are no scientific evidence that they actually do work (out in the public, preventing Covid-19 from spreading).

But, whatever makes the world revolve, be it a medallion, a cross or a mask.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I have bought 3 different types of FFP3 masks

All of them seal poorly around the nose. One can’t tell when inhaling but they certainly leak when exhaling (glasses mist up, etc).

For years I have been using the 3M 4251 respirators and one would think they would be highly effective, as well as enhancing your credibility on the ski lift

They are certainly very comfortable and I know from working with all kinds of solvents that they seal pretty well perfectly. For the nasty 2K paints I use this.

However, the spec says 10×WEL while this says FFP3 is 20×WEL. This is surprising. The 3M 4251 is about 10x the cost of the disposable FFP3 masks.

On closer inspection and some digging around, this respirator comes in four versions, and the filters are
FFA1P2 R D, FFA2P3 R D, FFABE1P3 R D, FFABEK1P3 R D
where the P2 means FFP2 and P3 means FFP3, so e.g. 3M 4277 is FFP3, and indeed it costs more

I wonder how the health service tests the FFP3 masks for fitting?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They put your head in a big hood and fill it with atomised Bitrex – they have two solutions for testing one bitter that not everybody can taste, and one sweet. You have to breathe for a while whilst the concentration is increased, and read some ridiculous prose to see whether the jaw movements dislodge the mask.

It’s a fairly major undertaking that unfortunately has to be repeated as one sort of mask becomes unavailable and a new sort is introduced.

Better than masks are hoods with a motorised fan that blows air through a filter then over your face and it exits beneath your chin. For the ultimate in ski-slope credibility.

I enjoy telling people that they’ll die if the batteries run out.

Last Edited by kwlf at 29 Oct 21:12

One of the arguments I hear all the time, is we cant do this (insert whatever) because there will be those that will disobey the rules.

i was trying ot think of analogy.

I came up with this.

In the terrible days the Germans and British were lined up in the trenches staring at each other the commander would tell 1,000 troops to go over the top, the same each side. 950 would go over, even though they knew they wouldnt make it. 50 wouldnt go and, in those days, were probably shot were they stood. The next 1,000 and it would be the same even though they saw 50 had been shot.

My point is there will always be those who abuse any system, the trick is that the majority, hopefully the vast majority comply.

The argument that lock downs are pointless because some people will not comply is, in my view the wrong argument, and is a very dangerous argument.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54742795

Somewhat spooky reality imitating art, in this case Julio Cortazar’s La autopista del Sur!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message