Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

I have just spoken to one of the larger GA airports and they told me that they expect to remain open with normal operating hours and have received guidance that domestic travel and flights would not be subject to any restrictions. However, for international travel (inbound and outbound) one would need to prove a business purpose/reason.

I suspect that is correct, though I can’t see how anyone is going to stop you getting a flight to Crete where you will sit for the next 6 months – probably not such a bad idea looking at the photos I am getting from my Greek friends

Shoreham, to their great credit, is not closing:

Last time, a lot of airfields shut because their cafe had to shut by law, and if one’s income depends largely on sales of stodge, and any fuel sales are tied to the sales of the said stodge, and you can get the 80% wage subsidy, then closing is a no-brainer. It shafts based pilots, but few airfields are concerned about that.

And as previously half of UK GA social media is demanding “guidance” from the CAA… The CAA is nothing to do with this. Everything not expressly prohibited is permitted.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

And as previously half of UK GA social media is demanding “guidance” from the CAA… The CAA is nothing to do with this.

But they will come up with some highly restrictive “guidance” anyway.

People need to live by the maxim “it’s better to ask for forgiveness than for permission” sometimes.

Andreas IOM

I made my 09.45 am post before a new update on our hospital’s Covid-19 situation came in. It seems the number of cases increased dramatically. 22 patients in total, 10 of which are in intensive care, most of which receive ECMO therapy. Age of these patients is around 60, none over 70, the youngest is 40ish.

Looks like we’re back to the April peak, and this is with numbers still rising…very worrisome.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

As you wrote yourself in an earlier post: Diagnosis to ventilation is typically in excess of 7 days. So we are now getting the IC cases from infections that were diagnosed when we still had less than 10k new diagnosed cases per day …

Even if everything we now do is successful it will be at least 2 very difficult weeks to come … :-(

Germany

I found this to be a very interesting stat.

There are around 35,300 lung cancer deaths in the UK every year, that’s 97 every day (2015-2017). Lung cancer is the most common cause of cancer death in the UK, accounting for 21% of all cancer deaths (2017). In females in the UK, lung cancer is the most common cause of cancer death, with around 16,300 deaths in 2017.

Yet, it’s not illegal to smoke… Numbers seem similar, the panic not so much…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Because smokers pay a lot of tax ?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

Numbers seem similar

How are 35,300 lung cancer deaths / approx. 700 per week similar to 8,000 excess deaths due Covid (of 11,000 excess deaths) in a single week in the previous peak?

Covid as we currently understand it kills around 1% of all infected (of course skewed heavily to the elderly) which means it kills roughly as many people as all other causes of death taken together (which is also heavily skewed towards the elderly).

Biggin Hill

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

Yet, it’s not illegal to smoke… Numbers seem similar, the panic not so much…

That is totally irrelevant. It’s easy to avoid smoking if you want to (now that it’s banned in work places etc). Nobody refuses to go to the shop or engage service (or engage with the economy in some other form) for fear of getting cancer from smoking because in general you’re not allowed to smoke indoors in most places except homes.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

That is totally irrelevant.

It is also off by around one order of magnitude.

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message