Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

More interestingly for me is that 15 Dec onwards the 2 week quarantine will be shortened with a test.

The UK nonessential travel ban will be lifted on 3 Dec.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Unfortunately not fake. There have been several appeals for seniors to fill out forms to that effect to keep beds vacant for those who have “more life left in them".

Just to bring more factual clarity since apparently @Mooney_Driver hasn’t been able to track down the source of the “appeals” (the Blick doesn’t count).

That question has been systematically asked of elderly persons for a few years already by most doctors, and at all main University hospitals it is a standard patient intake question (and has been for quite a while). As of today there is no triage in ICU, and certainly no “appeal to seniors” to let themselves die.

And no, Switzerland hasn’t run out of beds either.

[ @t28 quote fixed yet again – see Posting Tips ]

T28
Switzerland

Surely the first to be vaccinated should be those who perform essential work which exposes them to many contacts? Regardless of age. Health services, shops, transport? Etc. Then those who work in groups indoors.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Why surely?

Depends what the aim is.

EGLM & EGTN

Malibuflyer wrote:

Unfortunately I have to agree – but what is most shocking for me is that in Switzerland it is not a small group of politicians which is failing, but the entire population as a whole:

I agree fully. However, it is the responsibility of those in charge to impose measures to prevent this and they did not. Everyone is locked down around us and they open the skislopes. criminal.

Malibuflyer wrote:

I sincerely hope for the Swiss that the situation at the hospitals are not getting worse.

Right now they claim the numbers are coming down, but I don’t believe that. The stupidity has reached a new high with people refusing to get tested so they don’t have to go in quarantine.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@T28, no idea who you are and why you keep denying what has been in the news, even on Swiss TV. The appeals started even in the first wave when the then taskforce kept telling people to do “Patientenverfügungen” to this effect, when they at the time were panicked they would run out of beds. It has been mentioned again in several task force and other official briefings, this is not a yellow press fake news thing. Clearly they reported it and some also asked the same questions I am asking.

No, I can not put a video link here but I vividly remember these discussions. They keep coming up. And while clearly this has been a thing for a long time (and something I do detest when people are being encouraged to do it mainly on cost saving grounds) with Covid it has become a subject of heated discussion. So it should be. I did have a discussion about this with a friend whose parents are in a care home which has numerous infects. She was asked to persuade her parents but refused. And a workmate’s parent died of this thing this week.

The numbers of beds were several times brought into the equation by the task force. It was never said that we had run out, even though some cantons have, but the taskforce made it clear that it would happen if numbers continued like this.

We are loosing the equivalent of a medium sized airliner full of people EVERY DAY now. Thanks to the idiots who were not capable to do their job.

And now we hear that the Swiss are going to be the last in Europe to get the vaccine because our certification body won’t certify it before the full normal program has been done. Our neighbours will get the vaccines in the following weeks and we maybe in April or later and then only risk patients. Will have to try to get it abroad then. I certainly won’t be waiting for them anymore. They are a disgrace.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 24 Nov 22:56
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

A hangar neighbor in his 60s was in for a routine physical recently and described symptoms he had in January (10 months ago or so previous). The doctor advised him to get it checked, and sure enough he has the antibodies. We discussed whether he thinks he’s immune and he said (fairly obviously in retrospect) “who knows”? He’s still taking precautions regardless because his wife has major surgery next week. He’s the first person I know in person who has had CV19.

Flying here is great at this time of the year, summer is often hot, so I’ve been off work and flying during this week, having taken some time off work around the US national Thanksgiving holiday. Given the current local requirement to eat outside it limits the choice of lunch stops. No issue otherwise with flying and CV.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Nov 03:13

@Siveraire
It amazes me to think that is your first case… I know many tens of people who have come down with it, and a few days ago heard of a the first death of someone I know (elderly man in his eighties who categorically refused to go to the hospital in spite of the entreaties of relatives and medical personnel). 4 out of 6 people I work with have come down with light cases (infections almost certainly happened outside of the office).

Most people indeed do get a light case. But some wind up in the hospital, and it’s not always the patient you would expect. Healthy young people do sometimes have serious problems with their lungs when the get it, so youth is no guarantee of protection. It’s weird and unpredictable who gets hit hard.

Another strange thing is there are people who have all the symptoms that a family member does. The family member tests positive both to the virus and to antibodies and the person they are living with, who got sick in exactly the same way at the same time, comes up negative on the tests. That is amazingly common. In fact, when I was called over my test, I was warned that that could happen (in fact, my wife did wind up testing positive, but my son did not—although he never showed symptoms).

Anyway, brace yourself, if there’s been one case nearby, you’ll be seeing a lot more soon….

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 25 Nov 05:48
Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

Another strange thing is there are people who have all the symptoms that a family member does. The family member tests positive both to the virus and to antibodies and the person they are living with, who got sick in exactly the same way at the same time, comes up negative on the tests. That is amazingly common.

Not that strange, actually. If you know your family member is is positive and you keep to basic hygiene and distancing rules also within family, it is still more likely these days that you catch a common cold than the Covid from your family member. And common cold and light cases of Covid have quite similar symptoms.

It’s actually a myth that if one member of a family catches it, all others can’t help catching it as well.

Germany

Mooney_Driver wrote:

However, it is the responsibility of those in charge to impose measures to prevent this and they did not.

It’s actually an interesting concept of democracy that “those in charge” are responsible to impose measures that the vast majority of the population obviously don’t want!

Germany
Sign in to add your message