Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Malibuflyer wrote:

there needs to be a kind of “enforcing mechanism”.

Malibuflyer wrote:

there needs to be a kind of “enforcing mechanism”.

Ha, I was wrong. Just read the stuff about this for my county (for the first time). The county medical responsible made it a regulation on January 3. He has not only turned to the dark side, he IS the dark side This regulation lasts from January 3 to January 18. From mid Christmas to January 3 it was only a recommendation. If you don’t comply, you can risk fine or prison up to 6 months, according to law about “contamination defense”. I still have not heard or seen anyone being taken any action upon whatsoever though, but it kind of explains why so many follows (no need to speculate about reasons).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

MedEwok wrote:

The 10% of infected going to hospital sounds about right, but as you say it depends a lot on the local testing regime.

That sounds a bit high. From UK data, it appears to be around 2-3%.

At the beginning of January, 2% of the UK population were infected (based on the ONS random sampling, not on the self-selected testing) —> 1.2 million people
Currently there are around 30,000 people in hospital with Covid.

Biggin Hill

Malibuflyer wrote:

Is that with or without people on ECMO/ECLA? I’ve seen numbers from Freiburg that they have to put significant share of patients on these for some time and therefore it’s hard to give a “what would happen if we had only ventilation” survival rate…
Plus: It’s from Ventura County Medical Center – they are a 200 bed hospital. WDYT how many ventilation cases for acute respiratory infections the MDs have seen there in the 12 months before Covid? One of the key similarities between medicine and aviation: Experience is a great driver of survival…

As usual, good points from you, Malibuflyer.

The numbers from our hospital are including ECMO/ECLA, so yes, if you only have ventilators you won’t be able to save some of these patients.

And I did not read about the hospital in question. As you say, the expertise with severe ARDS will be minimal in such a small hospital.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Cobalt wrote:

California is recently doing rather worse…

I noticed that too, relative to Florida, but didn’t mention it so as not to overstate my case. You could easily figure that out one yourself ICU capacity in my area has come down a little from 20% to 17% this week.

Two people I’ve met in my lifetime have had CV-19, both recovered before I knew they had it, and I’m very glad there are no policeman stopping me as I go about my daily business. If there were, I’d be on my way to Florida. A colleague of mine at work got a job with Northrop Grumman, sold his house to clear $300K profit since 2015 and flew his RV down there a month ago, moving truck in trail. That is certainly putting your money where your mouth is.

BTW, my observation is that people in the US voluntarily follow the rules in relation to mask use etc more so than in e.g. Bavaria. What they don’t have to put up with is police stopping them in the street if they walk home after 9 PM on 24 December specifically, with different rules on other specific days created by a moralistic Kindergarten-style government, with the intent to remove the effects of individual intelligence and judgement. Non-existent results then prompt still more of the same. It reminds me of the management of the DDR economy.

“You do not lead by hitting people over the head. That’s assault, not leadership” – Dwight D Eisenhower

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 Jan 15:49

Should never let Brits go anywhere

There is a joke going around here that finally Britain leads the world in something: the fastest spreading version of CV19

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For the first time since the pandemic began, I actually had to deal with a patient that was later confirmed to be CV-19 positive. He spent nearly 30 minutes in my office, but we both wore FFP2 masks. According to both national and hospital guidelines, that makes me a so called “category 3 contact”, which is a specific category that exists only for healtcare professionals. Basically it means that I was properly protected from possible infection and thus have to draw no further consequences unless I get symptoms. Interestingly, it affords me the right (but not the duty) to get myself tested.

The contact is now 7 days ago and so far nothing happened. The only symptoms of anything I had was a mild pain in my upper arm where I got my BioNTech vaccination jab on monday.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Silvaire wrote:

Two people I’ve met in my lifetime have had CV-19, both recovered before I knew they had it

Wish I could say the same. Two people I know have had it – one of them (in his 40s, regular bike rider and not in bad shape) was knocked on their arse for a full 6 weeks and still hasn’t quite fully recovered, the other (in her mid 50s) died. (Both live/lived in the UK).

Last Edited by alioth at 13 Jan 15:56
Andreas IOM

Pim5 wrote:

Here is a pikey funeral in complete breach of the rules – police basically give up
https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/18918682.abingdon-traveller-funeral-police-tried-stop-hundreds-attending/

I love that artificial intelligence, which put a link in the middle of the article: “Read also: Catalytic convertor thefts in Aldi car park”

It’s probably based on perceived British class divisions

At Lidl, allegedly, you just get the wheels stolen off your Vauxhall Viva. Aldi positions itself above Lidl, I am told, so the customers are more likely to have catalytic converters.

I can’t vouch for any of this myself because we don’t have these where we live, and anyway we haven’t been to a supermarket since March 2020.

The word “pikey” is also likely to get you beaten up. The correct one is “traveller community”. The most correct one is to avoid all discussion of it (but sms the local farmers when you see the vehicle train heading for your village)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Surviving Vauxhall Vivas are classic cars (often selling for £5000+) so I don’t think you’ll be finding them in a typical Lidl car park. Waitrose, possibly.

Last Edited by alioth at 13 Jan 17:17
Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message