Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Lots of people get violent reactions to lots of things. This can be judged only in the context of the overall numbers.

This sort of thing makes me wonder which planet those who think this virus doesn’t exist must be living on. This is a really huge local hospital, and this area is actually doing relatively well (lots of wealth etc etc)

lots of people aren’t registered.

Indeed; I didn’t see a “doctor” formally until I was in my 30s. Around 30 I went to A&E to get some stitches following a windsurfing accident (mast hit me in the face in ~F7 wind) and they asked me the name of my doctor, and I told them I had never seen one. They looked at me like I came from Mars. So I reckon most under-20s are not registered, and probably would be relying on their parents to send them to get the vacc, but a lot of them will refuse because they “live” on fb and twitter which are close to 100% anti-vaxxer dominated.

On the news today: the cv19 deaths are reducing life expectancy by 8-9 years on average.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Lots of people get violent reactions to lots of things. This can be judged only in the context of the overall numbers.

Absolutely. I was at pains to say that the reaction was in all ways entirely expected and absolutely not to suggest this was anything other than an isolated example. However, it is right and proper these things are reported even if it is fuel to the anti vaxers (or whatever is the appropriate name), because as much as the contra position to theirs is the vaccine is safe and effective, the reality it would seem is there will be the occasional blimp in the same way as you rightly say people get violent reactions to lots of things. For example we know there are some people whose reaction to some antiobitics is so violent it is life threatening, but just like peanuts, most of us eat them, or take antibiotics when we must.

The UK has vacced 316k in last 24 hrs and is still ramping up. They will go 24/7 soon but are currently supply limited; apparently the glass bottles are the, ahem, bottleneck

This is very interesting too. It got released without authorisation, because publicising which vaccine manufacturer is shipping to which country could cause problems for the companies, since each one is under huge pressure from each country, so they have to make commercial/political decisions on which orders to fulfil. In normal commerce you fulfil orders in order of date the order was placed (with some informal “adjustment” for when the customer has a bad payment record / has hit his credit limit / is basically nasty ) but in this case this all got changed around, with most manufacturers shipping preferentially to the country where they are based regardless of when stuff was ordered (basically they went “national”). This is why the Oxford vaccine partnered with AZ which is a UK company, so the UK could be assured of supplies, but you can’t publicise that even though everybody knows it.

Administrator

I guess in the 21st century, not only “health and safety” can make things ineffective, but “data privacy” too:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/15/german-covvaccine-officials-play-name-game-to-comply-with-data-privacy-laws

Apparently, for the invitation to vaccination, the social ministry in my home state interpreted data privacy laws in an overzealous way, so they had to guess the age of citizens by their first name because they don’t have DOB for everyone (well, they do but … Read it yourself)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

gallois wrote:

Do these people not have a choice to accept or refuse the vaccine if and when it is offered?

The general rule here is vaccination is free and voluntarily. In practice, it is not always that straightforward. So far ONLY those with the highest risk of dying due to covid 19 has been vaccinated (they are called “group 1” here. I’m in “group 8” ), along with some medical personnel. This include a whole bunch of people who are in some way incapacitated to make decisions on their own. Depending on the the actual conditions, relatives etc. makes the decision.

But, these people in “group 1” have been very isolated from family and friends, due to their fragility vs corona. Therefore, there has been lots of pressure to vaccinate the whole bunch, remove the problem, brute force method. For the most of it, it works just fine, but there are some that simply are too fragile to survive the vaccine. 13 of 33k is not many, but still, dying is dying, and these 13 obviously had no benefit from the vaccine – at all. What’s happening now is the corona vaccine is simply handled exactly like any other vaccine/medicine. The benefits are weighed against the risks, for the most fragile.

For the rest of us, it’s all up to us whether we want some nanomaterial in our vanes or not But there are still a couple of “fragile groups” left before general mass vaccinations starts, and so far, not enough vaccines to get going at anything but snail speed anyway.

kwlf wrote:

Which vaccine is implicated?

Pfizer, but as I understand the Moderna vaccine is even more aggressive regarding side effects.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I’ve seen references to posters (like our EuroGA host) having their groceries delivered in light of CV, but recently became aware that people here are quitting low paid jobs (or replacing them, for example laid off restaurant workers) and going freelance with e.g.Instacart which is basically an Uber style web-based grocery buying service. One couple we know are apparently doing this as a sideline and making $600 each weekend, others are combining it with their own shopping trip and making $40 every time they’d be in the grocery anyway, dropping off an order on somebody’s doorstep on their way home. People are apparently going a bit crazy to make a little money this way and many older folks have become enthusiastic buyers.

I’m always the last to know it seems, but it’s still amazing to me how fast business reacts to fill a need. My wife and I joked that pretty soon there only be seven people in the supermarket but each of them will have a $700 bill. As ‘leisure oriented’ as many consumers are, it wouldn’t surprise me if this sticks and become a permanent business.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Jan 03:07

@Silvaire hmm maybe that explains why supermarkets are empty. I went to our local Wholefoods around 7 last night – Friday. Pre-covid it would have been packed, difficult to park, lines at all the checkouts. Last night the parking was nearly empty, there were few people, and they only had a couple of checkouts open. And yet – people are eating as much as ever, more probably since you can’t go out to eat. It’s a bit of a mystery.

LFMD, France

We had food delivered long before e.g. Riverford for fresh fruit and veg and they don’t have shops, and Ocado for the rest, but with CV19 we went from perhaps 80% to 100%.

Yes; people will find ways to make money, and doing shopping for others is much nicer than selling disposable 4p gloves at 20p which is 100% antisocial

Administrator

Silvaire wrote:

people here are quitting low paid jobs … and going freelance with e.g.Instacart which is basically an Uber style web-based grocery buying service….. as ‘leisure oriented’ as many consumers are, it wouldn’t surprise me if this sticks and become a permanent business.

Great to see enterprising individuals spot and fill a gap in the market (rather than whining and waiting for the government to pay the wages for jobs that currently do not exist)

I am a bit surprised that this gap exists to that extent; in the UK every one of the major supermarket chains has a home delivery service, which in many instances are simply people picking stuff from the shelves in the shops, or is a mix of warehouse and shop picking.

Ocado was for a long time the “odd one out” relying on automated warehouses, which did not scale as well as manual picking, so they did not grow their on-line business quite as much as the others

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

I am a bit surprised that this gap exists to that extent; in the UK every one of the major supermarket chains has a home delivery service, which in many instances are simply people picking stuff from the shelves in the shops, or is a mix of warehouse and shop picking.

Try getting a delivery slot! Unless you’re already getting regular deliveries from our Tesco here, you won’t get a slot before March. The supermarket delivery services are completely out of capacity.

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message