Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Well, on news on national TV right now: The entire Oslo region (10 counties) is from today in lockdown and isolation, worst ever since the pandemic, initially a week. Reason: trying to stop the UK mutant virus from spreading to the entire country. In Norway we check mutations during tests, as opposed to many other countries.

Also, the most likely reason the mutated virus has increased, and the the original variant(s) is going back, especially in the UK, is in fact lokcdowns. Strong enough to beat the original virus, and just right to give the mutated virus an advantage to spread further and suppress the original virus.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Mooney_Driver wrote:

massive and uncontrollable wave starting in spring and summer

What is different this summer from last summer? The whole problem we have now was caused by a massive decline in summer that made many people believe that Covid is over…

Germany

A lengthy magazine article on Wuhan and the CCP virus in today’s newspaper.

Last Edited by Jacko at 23 Jan 10:15
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Drosten is right, and so far he has been more right than wrong, we may well see a total collapse this summer when the virus will totally break through and infect just about everyone who has not had a vaccine till then. And the way vaccinations are going, that will be less than 25% of the population. So I guess the big cataclysm of Covid is still before us.

You have been predicting this total collapse for some time now, but it has yet to materialise…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Jacko wrote:

A lengthy magazine article on Wuhan and the CCP virus in today’s newspaper.

An interesting read which reminds us of the dangers of intransparency that is so typical of autocratic governments. A more open society would have sounded the alarm sooner, instead of punishing whistleblowers like Dr. Li.

Some lessons can be learned from the decisive action Chinese officials took once they finally realised the gravity of the situation, but reading the report also makes it clear that one could never carbon-copy these lessons in a western, democratic setting.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I think that those who must come in contact with many people indoors should have priority over me. Shopworkers, bus and taxi drivers, etc, immediately after health and care workers.

I agree wholeheartedly. But what we need in Scotland is for the regional health boards to allow GP surgeries and healthcare assistants to administer the various approved vaccines.

It is pathetic that in a supposedly first world country like Scotland our sclerotic health system has barely administered twice as many doses as EU countries like Belgium, Austria or the Netherlands.

What to do? Perhaps our First Minister (peace and blessings upon her!) should take a leaf out of François-Marie Arouet‘s book regarding the English method of encouraging admirals?

Malibuflyer wrote:

What is different this summer from last summer?

The initial figures we went into the summer relaxations with were MUCH lower, which prompted politicians to relax the measures before time.

Other than that, I agree with you, the difference will be, if politicians make the same mistakes or not.

Airborne_Again wrote:

You have been predicting this total collapse for some time now, but it has yet to materialise…

You know I never would like to be wrong more than in this one. But the numbers are on the table and we see that both vaccinations are not coming fast enough but instead we get mutations which are exponentially more infectious. So what else do you need?

As for meltdown, if we get to what Prof Drosten projects, have a look at what that means. 100k per DAY will overtax any healthcare system. 100k per day folks who fall ill, at that rate you will lack workers to keep essential functions open, at that rate you will have a national panic on your hands. Plus, if measures are not being relaxed, you might face insurgency as they turn up all over the place now. No, it’s not only one problem, it is a whole bunch.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

MedEwok wrote:

Jacko wrote: A lengthy magazine article on Wuhan and the CCP virus in today’s newspaper.

An interesting read which reminds us of the dangers of intransparency that is so typical of autocratic governments. A more open society would have sounded the alarm sooner, instead of punishing whistleblowers like Dr. Li.

Some lessons can be learned from the decisive action Chinese officials took once they finally realised the gravity of the situation, but reading the report also makes it clear that one could never carbon-copy these lessons in a western, democratic setting.

I have mused where we might be had the Chinese been transparent and quick off the mark.

I wonder if the virus could have been contained?

I think with what we know know it is just possible. I think with what we know now borders would have been closed very quickly, cases would have beeen isolated and there would be a realistic chance – Oz and NZ style. With what we knew then, I doubt there was the political will. The politicians would still have run on a wing and a prayer. I suspect in the early days most Governments were in utter chaos, having little or no idea how to respond and by the time the scientists were ivolved and the politicians realised how serious the situation, the window of opportunity had already passed. In short a complete lack of preparedness or plan.

Do we recall in the UK the early footage of people returning to the UK and bing transported to containment centres in coaches with a bemused driver at the wheel and a posy of reporteres in pursuit? They were the golden moments with a real will that Covid might have been contained, but the golden days were very short, and once the moment was missed, it was too late.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Do we recall in the UK the early footage of people returning to the UK and bing transported to containment centres in coaches with a bemused driver at the wheel and a posy of reporteres in pursuit?

That was when there was press and public outcry that “The Govt has abandoned us on a Luxury cruise liner”…

our First Minister should take a leaf out of Candide regarding the English method of encouraging admirals

Oh dear! I must retract and apologise unreservedly for that crass remark. Sometimes one thinks or writes something which could cause immense offence and which one immediately regrets…

I didn’t mean for a moment to suggest that merely allowing a few thousand Scots to kick the bucket due to our precious NHS bureaucracy could in any way compare to Admiral Bing’s capital crime of failing to kill Frenchmen.

Sign in to add your message