Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Emir wrote:

When he reached the island, he was visited by multiple relatives and in corse of 2 days 30 people was infected (22 on day 1 plus 8 on day 2 when someone realized what was going on) with 70 more samples of secondary contacts still being under analysis.

Sadly, 7 more cases at the island of Brac, totalling 37 infected just by one person in 2 days.

Despite the situation being serious, locals kept their sense for good black humor

Last Edited by Emir at 11 May 12:50
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir,
I have been a regular visitor to Croatia (specifically Solta) for 15 years. I really feel for the people of Brac but that is the funniest thing I’ve ever seen in Croatia!

Forever learning
EGTB

Who ever did that could get an interesting visit from a certain department of the Chinese secret service.

This accounts for the higher death rate in men

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A data point for the UK, from yesterday’s briefing.

From thousands of blood tests, they reckon about 10% of London has antibodies, and 4% of the rest of the country.

Excess deaths about 50k this year, of which about 30-40k are due on the death cert to CV19.

The UK also got 50k excess deaths in 2018 due to a flu epidemic, apparently, but it didn’t make headlines because it was spread out over time, the media didn’t pick it up, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The annual death rate is lower than normal in Jersey EGJJ but we are still in a “soft lock down” – why?

The reason is because of irresponsible reporting from the local BBC, ITV etc. Politicians are scared that they will be accused that any number of deaths over and above “normal” is blood on their hands.

Jumping to the UK, GDP has already fallen so much there will be MORE deaths caused by less money for the NHS, poverty etc than Covid19, The fact is, most of the media are a bit thick and more interested in propagating their own political agenda. It’s a shame they are not interested in the big picture of GDP and how this funds the health service, as well as trying to protect the elderly in care homes.

United Kingdom

Jersey_Flyer wrote:

GDP has already fallen so much there will be MORE deaths caused by less money for the NHS, poverty etc than Covid19

Is there any source / calculation for this that you could share?

Biggin Hill

I’ll dig the report out and post the link. As I said before it is “short term lives” vs “long term lives”

United Kingdom

Should be interesting. As you probably know, I prefer calibration by life years lost, but with, say, 50,000 Covid deaths in the UK of mostly older people is maybe a half a million life years lost, which around three days per head, so it is certainly plausible, especially if spread over more than a year.

I don’t think the mechanism is driven by health funding, at least not in relatively rich economies; it will take a foolish and brave politician to reduce it. But there is a strong correlation between economic wellbeing and general health. While more a case of common causes (being smart contributes to being affluent and to a healthier lifestyle), there is probably also a causal element (being affluent means you can afford a healthier lifestyle).

Last Edited by Cobalt at 12 May 22:52
Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

This accounts for the higher death rate in men

We REALLY need a ‘like’ button here, LOL !

Sign in to add your message