Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

“. The main problem with China, or more precisely with the Chinese Communist Party, however is that they tried to keep a lid on the outbreak. If they had been forthcoming form day one, we would prob90 not be in this mess. They also tried to suppress info coming out of Taiwan via the WHO.”

Today the Guardian reported that a group of retired doctors in Sheffield had encountered problems when trying to trace NHS COVID-19 contacts. Management opposition is mentioned.
The US CDC reported that surface touching is not a major transmission method.
This is a new virus, and public information, with mention of how certain the “facts” are, would be better than blaming the Chinese.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

So after how many deaths from this disease should China have rung the alarm bells? Or at what other point?
And how does this delay compare to the delay in reaction to this in other countries?

Biggin Hill

Putting aside China, which has lot of interest to cover things up for their own domestic affaires

How about Italy, did they cover up on their story? I guess no, the message was rather loud & clear what happened in Lombardy was just inches away from London/NewYork, still many countries just pushed forward their exceptionalism by saying “we are not Italy” ! while I admire some people sense of patriotism & belief in their country, I pity when they mistake that with the governance of a health crisis, especially when they can’t even find toilette paper and protection masks

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 May 23:28
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Off_Field wrote:

It was CCP policy not to do anything because they didn’t want to interupt or cause disharmony for their upcoming big communist pow wow, which ironically they later had to cancel.

So tell me, what would have happened if this virus had originated in the UK, or Belgium, or Span or Italy, or (god forbid) – Sweden ? I think we all know the answer, the answer is absolutely nothing, nothing at all. At least not until big piles of bodies popped up everywhere. The point is however, that the virus would never have originated here. The core of the problem is the wet markets. It’s a thing that simply has to go, and the world community has to isolate China and all other places this is going on until this insanity is stopped once and for all.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Do you really think the international community could isolate China enough to make a difference if their leaders do not want it to make a difference?
Donald Trump has tried since he has been in office, and what has he achieved? Nothing!
Most of Asia are never going to isolate China, that would be like Europe attempting to isolate USA or vice versa?
If you want China to close wet markets, you might stand a chance through trade and diplomacy, but if you want the Chinese government to be more transparent you will need to find something that China wants more.
Remember this is a regime which although possibly more open than its predecessor, still banned ‘Winnie the Poo’ because of the similarity between the faces of the bear and the President.
IMO most intelligent western leaders would have loved the comparison with a well loved if not adored personality.

France

LeSving wrote:

So tell me, what would have happened if this virus had originated in the UK, or Belgium, or Span or Italy, or (god forbid) – Sweden ?

Probably still within the bat population. Not having wet markets, non existant food safety standards and not really having a penchant for eating bats and pangolins probably makes a difference?

For the UK, there is an interesting interactive thingy on the Guardian website here

The original data is probably on some other URL but I don’t know where.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So tell me, what would have happened if this virus had originated in the UK, or Belgium, or Span or Italy, or (god forbid) – Sweden ?

For sure no cover up would have happened. Also, it’s not like we don’t have any outbreaks of deadly lung diseases in western countries. They just don’t start at some wet market because we don’t have such. Just look at the legionella outbreaks (list of legionella outbreaks) and how that got handled and the source got tracked down.

[ URL fixed – the quoted text needs to have the quotes tight around the text; no spaces ]

Last Edited by Clipperstorch at 22 May 09:08
EDQH, Germany

gallois wrote:

Do you really think the international community could isolate China enough to make a difference if their leaders do not want it to make a difference?

Yes, if there is a will. Who they continue to do business with would be a matter for those parties, but they need America and Europe more than Europe and America needs them.

I see reports today that the wet markets will close for at least five years. If true, they are clearly reacting to world opinion, which is to be applauded.

A committment is needed to allow unhindered access by the WHO at the very outset of any other outbreak.

I also suspect there will need to be independent verification that their markets have really closed – sadly I suspect most of us has very little trust for anything the Chinese say they are doing. Unfortunately their reputation in this respect could not be any worse.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 22 May 09:57

In which country did BSE get into cattle and then to humans? Into cattle from animal feed?
How did the Government response speed compare with Covid-19 response speed in China?
Will California be sued for HIV?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message