Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

@BeechBaby I have no idea what you’re talking about and I don’t see the link to the common cold.

What do you think is actually involved in a clinical trial of a vaccine?

EGLM & EGTN

The problem with all of this @Graham is that as soon as anyone questions, is reticent, has a differing opinion from the ‘herd’, then they are automatically labelled as Anti Vacc, Covidiot, do not understand the process.

Vaccines are years in the making and have to be trialled over large populations, demographs, and time.

Interesting that these large pharma have had then sitting, trialled, on the shelf so to speak, but then I would not want to start a Covid conspiracy theory.

The comment was facetious regarding the common cold, the cure alludes us allegedly, but a vaccine for a Coronovirus strain is sitting there.

The UK Government cannot track and trace, cannot source adequate protection materials, but will miraculously vaccinate the majority of the population by summer.

It is all quite frankly nonsense on a super scale

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 20 Nov 19:03
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

It’s not been sitting there. It’s been developed since the virus became a major issue in early 2020. The actual development and production of a candidate does not long, it’s the trials that take time.

Long-term safety is a potential (though statistically very unlikely) issue, but this is true of any new drug or vaccine. It is simply not practical to wait until you’ve gathered 10 year or 20 year safety data on any product before approving it for use. Even more so in this case. It’s why regulators issue licences with conditions that manufacturers continue to collect long-term safety data in the form of post-marketing trials.

I’m not calling you a conspiracy theorist or an anti-vaxxer or a covidiot, but I do suspect your scepticism about vaccine development is rooted in not knowing much about it.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

but I do suspect your scepticism about vaccine development is rooted in not knowing much about it.

See, there you go again.

Its an internet forum so I will not spill out my life experience, suffice to say I think I do know what I am talking about. It may surprise you.

Anyway thank you for stating that I am not a Covidiot. That is appreciated. Speaking of idiots…hot off the press

The NHS is setting up vaccination centres across the country in preparation for any jab being approved, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.

People will be vaccinated at sites around the UK, as well as in hospitals and by GPs in the communityItalic

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55021334

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Given these vaccines aren’t likely to be given to minors, and they seem to be quite effective is those that really need the vacinne. i.e. it will not rely on herd immunity and simply rely on the recipient not getting sick. Then I think any anti Vax nonsense will just be noise.

The virus is unfortunately endemic, and failing the invention of an extremely easy to manufacture and distribute vacinne, is likely to remain so.

Ted
United Kingdom

This graph show all the vaccines in development. 6 are already approved, but not in the EU.

This is how long it (normally) takes to develop a vaccine. On average 10.7 years

In relation to this, saying the Russian vaccine is dangerous, is a bit far fetched. If the Russian vaccine is dangerous, then all are.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The above chart doesn’t really tell us a lot because none of those vaccines have a big economic cost; those who suffer are not a big component of the labour force / are not a big load on the health services. Even HIV has a negligible economic cost (and a vaccine is very hard to do, anyway). But CV19 has a massive economic cost. The incentives to put a lot of resources into R&D are totally different.

And science has progressed massively since 1948, etc.

From news reports, the Russian vaccine may have a more poweful adjuvant.

The vaccines under test so far seem to be really benign, as vaccines go. Many years ago I had the typhoid one. Could not drive for a week as my left arm was too painful to change gears. There have not been any such reports from all the people who got the various CV19 ones in Europe (100k or so?).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There are three factors why this is so quick compared to others

1. crystal clear financial case. No need to weigh cost vs likelihood of success vs. market potential at each stage and convince the bean-counters.
  2. reduced bureaucracy. No ‘we will look at it the next time the committee meets’ or ‘sorry, we can’t buy this thing right now wait for the next budget’. This may be at a slightly increased risk to the people taking part in trials, though.
  3. Technology. How vaccines are developed now compared to Polio 70 years ago bears no resemblance
  4. Simplicity. Covid-19 is not a complicated beast, and does not (yet) have hugely different strains ‘in the wild’.

The “common cold” vaccine fails at (1). No money to be made.

For measles the financial (and moral) case was pretty clear – while the case fatality ratio is slightly lower than for Covid-19, it kills much younger people.

But when it was developed, vaccines were created by trying to replicate the virus in some organism, and then damaging it enough to no longer cause the disease, while keeping enough intact to trigger the immune response. A far cry from what is possible today.

I can’t really comment on the rest – I suspect that Chickenpox (‘Vannkopper’) was not really a huge priority given that its lethality is of the 1-in-10-to-100,000 magnitude.

Biggin Hill

BeechBaby wrote:

Interesting that these large pharma have had then sitting, trialled, on the shelf so to speak

Do you have any proof of this?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Many people do not want to consume genetically modified food, and I count myself among them.
Therefore I am surprised when people want to be vaccinated voluntarily with a gene vaccine. Moreover, if it is the first gene vaccine ever whose development time has been drastically reduced. Even the nanoparticles contained in the vaccine do not inspire confidence; it is already possible to store data in nanoparticles. Brave New World.
http://news.mit.edu/2019/storing-vaccine-history-skin-1218

Berlin, Germany
Sign in to add your message