Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

I am a scientist of sorts, I read Biology at Uni. and did a masters.

I give little room for most of the antivax promoters.

However, for balance I would make this point. We inevitably must reamin cautious about anything new. We should never let our guard down that problems may not come to light, or the testing is a rigorous as we are persuaded to believe. It is simply important, because I suspect we have yet to invent a trial and certification system that is perfect, any more than the recent debacle with Boeing where even the FAA were persuaded a perfectly unserviceable CAT was certified to enter service. History is littered with such failures and of course we must remain vigilent, paticularly in times when commercial or other pressures exist.

That said, I shall be in the line for the vaccine.

The other issue about MMR was that the combined vaccine worked better than the individual vaccines, so it wasn’t just a matter of cost-saving.

I really don’t think vaccine deniers is going to be a problem this time around.

With 95% protection, most of those who take it will be safe.

When most non-deniers (who just are a little nervous) see their friends and family get it, with no serious downsides, then they will choose to get it too…just a little later. There will be a queue anyway, so they won’t matter.

I also suspect international travel will require evidence of a vaccine before being allowed on an airline or into a country. If you can’t provide the evidence, then you’ll have to complete some form of quarantine. That will encourage many borderline people.

We may well find that bars and restaurants can only let in small numbers of non-vaccinated patrons. That will encourage many more.

Once enough are vaccinated to keep the r number consistently below 1, then that is enough. Even the vaccine deniers will be pretty safe.

Of course there will still be outbreaks, but it will be mainly in those who choose not to get vaccinated, which of course was their own choice.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I also suspect international travel will require evidence of a vaccine before being allowed on an airline or into a country. If you can’t provide the evidence, then you’ll have to complete some form of quarantine.

Here in the UK, some opposition politicians are demanding assurance that nothing like that will be mandated!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well they can’t stop airlines who might choose to do that themselves to encourage the public to travel (making them feel safer). And they certainly can do nothing about other countries insisting that inward travel needs evidence of a vaccine.

So British government might not require it, but that is of little use to those wishing to travel from the UK to say Spain on holidays if the Spanish government days ‘if you’ve no vaccine, then 14 days quarantine in a government facility’. Such quarantine would be much more practical from the government’s point of view once most travelers are vaccinated (so only few people need to be quarantined).

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 21 Nov 18:39
EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

I also suspect international travel will require evidence of a vaccine before being allowed on an airline or into a country. If you can’t provide the evidence, then you’ll have to complete some form of quarantine. That will encourage many borderline people

This is actually a pretty scary idea if you think about it for more than a few moments, as you could end up with a two-tier society. I do however think that it is perhaps the way certain countries may go. Im not particularly happy about this to be honest despite not being averse to taking a vaccine myself.

Regards, SD..

I’m going to take the vaccine as well. Compared to flying, which is both a short term and a long term risk, it’s a no-brainer

156 times more dangerous than CAT. OK, I don’t want to re-ignite the high-wing vs low-wing debate again but even the low-wingers may be a bit more in danger than a CAT pax

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

skydriller wrote:

This is actually a pretty scary idea if you think about it for more than a few moments, as you could end up with a two-tier society.

And that is my fear also. It is Hunger Games, with access denied to large sectors of the population. Alternatively access opened to certain sectors.

Life tends to settle at 50/50 and can you imagine 50% vaccinated and enjoying liberty, whilst the 50% for whatever reason do not take/get it, being denied ’’freedom’’

That is a very scary thought.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Peter wrote:

Proof please.

This is the Astra product. It is boxed as a 4 vial Covid 19 vaccine. Now……I cannot tell anyone what to do/think, however an hour checking out what exactly this stuff is which constitutes a vaccine bothers me somewhat, and it bothered the Doctors who sent me the clip.

EGPF Glasgow

EGPF Glasgow
Sign in to add your message