Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Malibuflyer wrote:

The core question is, however, if a mixed vaccine protocol is as effective as a second shot with AZ. There is only very preliminary data on that yet …

Exactly. That is actually what I wanted to ask about…

I’ll be interested to hear of people who’ve had the 2nd AZ shot about their experiences. Purely private concern as my MiL of 89 years of age has been vaccined with AZ first shot and is due the 2.of June for the 2nd.

Personally I would not have hesitated yesterday if there had been AZ on the label instead of Pfizer

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 15 Apr 14:02
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Graham wrote:

Sandown might be a greasy stodge-fest, but it is an example of a place with a can-do attitude.

My last flight before lockdown 2 was to Sandown and I agree – really friendly people, and the food was decent so far as I remember. … and I would have remembered greasy stodge!

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

I agree Sandown would have had to close, because the Isle of Wight decided to cut itself off from the outside world…

Well, that assumes nobody was based there. I don’t know if that is the case. It is obvious that some people are based at Bembridge, though not many.

£15 will kill the business totally

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Malibuflyer wrote:

There is little to no data that would prove a general correlation between brand of vaccine and 1st vs. 2nd shot side effects.

Interesting. Everyone I know who has had both shots (I’m getting my second Moderna tomorrow) reported:
- Pfizer / Moderna: very little / no reaction on first dose, heavy reaction to second one
- AZ: strong reaction to first dose, little to none on second
- JJ (one dose only): tired and achy the day after the shot

I was tired and generally a little ‘under the wx’ on the day after my first shot, but I was also jetlagged, having come off an 18 hour trip. I’ll report back here after shot #2 tomorrow.

- Pfizer / Moderna: very little / no reaction on first dose, heavy reaction to second one

Yes that is pretty normal here too.

The rare side effects (which are on the ppm or tens of ppm scale) may not relate to which and when, but they are so rare that there is very little data. But they are driving the political landscape.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

Everyone I know who has had both shots (I’m getting my second Moderna tomorrow) reported:
- JJ (one dose only): tired and achy the day after the shot

Me too, except it seems that about half get the significant reaction to the second Pfizer/Moderna shot, the other half not so much.

I have next to none after the 1st Pfizer shot yesterday…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

It turns out in news today there is about a 39 in 1,000,000 chance of getting an SVT blood clot after catching COVID19, compared to 5 in 1,000,000 after having the AZ vaccine, in the under 30s (so vaccine refuseniks under 30 face about an 8 times higher risk of SVT, more or less, should they get COVID which in the long term is more or less assured to happen).

Andreas IOM

I am not surprised by that one, and I would also not be surprised to see more clots after the second shot of those vaccines which tend to have a stronger reaction on the second shot.

There were three possible things causing the clots

1. the vaccine vector (adenovirus in case of AZ)
  2. the spike protein produced by the cells hijacked by the vaccines
  3. the immune response triggered by the spike protein

It now looks like it is 2 or 3. We will find out soon which one as more and more have gotten their second shot.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 15 Apr 17:10
Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

There are rumours that the Pfizer one gives much stronger side effects on the 2nd dose than it does on the 1st.

Can confirm with anecdotal evidence from my department (we all got BioNTech): Several colleagues were sick at home for two days after the 2nd shot. No “side effects” per se though, just “vaccine reactions”. No lasting side effects whatsoever in my circle.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
Sign in to add your message