Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Scottish Power - legal question

Have an issue of this company overestimating power usage and thereby inflating the direct debit value. The question I have for the “legal eagles” here is that if I cease my D/D and pay by bacs Scottish Power say they will increase my payable tariffs by 20%!!!! Yes 20%. Can this be legally challenged anyone please?

UK, United Kingdom

Why not simply change power supplier?
Prices are on their way down and contracts can be broken often with little or no penalty.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I echo what Neil suggests. Stop your d/d immediately, give a final reading and move supplier via one of the comparison sites. Then when you have moved challenge the final bill amount.

Scottish Power swim at the same level as BT, British Gas and Royal Bank of Scotland. I leave it to you where you think that level is but bottom feeders comes to mind.

Do it now and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Thank you both. The threats from SP re early termination were “interesting”
:)

UK, United Kingdom

Fenland_Flyer wrote:

The threats from SP re early termination were “interesting”

The issue is that they are cruel. Bit like the water providers who see it as sport to make up invoices weekly for any amount that comes into their head, become your supplier, then arrive to cut your water off when you refuse to pay. I had an issue in a commercial property years ago where I was told by Scottish Water (Business Stream) that ‘’BY DEFAULT’’ they were our supplier and that we owed them some 15k. We owed them zero and they were not our supplier. They turned up several times to cut us off, but could not, because it was an open supply.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I would dump them.

These companies are a load of wide boys and shysters. When my mum had mild dementia and living at home with live-in carers (before she went into the care home system; she died in 2015) she used to get phone calls from the salesmen who work at these crooked companies. She understood nothing of the conversation but all the salesman needs is a “yes” (just the one word) on the tape, and that gives them authority to transfer the services (water, gas, electricity) to them.

It is what TalkTalk are notorious for in the phone/internet sphere. Yeah, she had fun with them too. Well, I did, as she was dead by then. Only a Special Delivery letter to the TT Company Secretary’s home address worked. That was actually suggested by one of the TT employees, but it is what I tend to do anyway if there is any hassle with a refund, overcharging, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Coincidentally I’ve just ditched Scottish Power due to their customer service, or lack thereof (I pay extra for boiler care, but they don’t return calls if there’s a problem )

As Neil says, energy prices are low at the moment so the overall saving should more than outweigh any early exit penalty. The mess can be sorted out later.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

You could also complain to OFGEM

LINK

Last Edited by Neil at 16 Mar 15:24
Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Fenland_Flyer wrote:

Thank you both. The threats from SP re early termination were “interesting”
:)

Cancel D/D and then when they announce the price hike, cancel the contract. Anytime a supplier changes the prices in a contract you have the right to cancel without penalty or cancellation fee.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

Anytime a supplier changes the prices in a contract you have the right to cancel without penalty or cancellation fee.

That would depend on how the contract was written, wouldn’t it? E.g. there could be an indexing clause.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message