Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

One-person tent for carrying in a plane, and cooking

kwlf wrote:

The problem with Trangias is that in my experience they drink fuel – partly ‘cos ethanol isn’t very energy dense and also ‘cos they’re quite slow so waste more heat coming to the boil. When I did more camping I used to covet my friends’ kerosene burners.

I don’t know… I do about 4 day mountain hikes where every cooking is done on a Trangia and 1 litre of fuel is plenty.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

+1 for the Primus Omni-Fuel. Had the MSR dragon fly for a couple of years but IMHO the Primus is the better design. It’s more robust and at least for me it works better at high altitude (above 4000m).

I have absolutely no problem taking a bottle or two of white gas in the plane. There is a lot of highly flammable stuff in your wings, anyway I would not use Avgas unless I really had to.

A 1.4 liter bottle of white gas is plenty for a week for two unless you have to boil all drinking water or you have to melt it from ice or snow. Then you need considerably more.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

I also used to carry the camping gas cooker on many flights. Before that I talked to some to some guys in Canada and Alaska, and they always do that. The little gas canisters have no problem in the altitudes we fly. But I did carry it in a solid aluminum box.

Just putting out another alternative: a wood-burning stove, such as the Solo Stove Lite (larger variants available, see website). I’ve used it for camping, albeit not airplane camping yet. My experience:

Advantages:

• Nothing dangerous / flammable / explosive to carry (such as gas canister).
  • All you need is (locally collected) wood and some kindling / fire starter (such as newspaper and/or cosmetics cotton pads, and a firesteel).
  • Nice cozy camping atmosphere in the dark. Can use for heating and keep running for long time.

Disadvantages:

• Need pretty dry wood.
  • More bulky and heavy than a camping stove.
  • Requires more work (collecting wood, feeding wood into stove for smaller models).
  • Somewhat lower heat performance.
  • Takes longer to stop fire.
  • Pans and pots becomes black from soot.
  • Making a wood fire on an aerodrome may not be liked, even if fully contained and controlled (and doesn’t burn the ground).
  • You smell like a wood fire.
LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

Someone I used to know as a child traded vintage Bentleys and Rolls Royces. He used to to do manifold cooking or carbequeing, wrapping food in tin foil and leaving it to slow cook in the engine compartment (big engines have a low, contstant heat). This way the meal is ready-cooked when you arrive, but is anyone prepared to put a rack of ribs on their O360?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Is that a ham baked in orange and cherries? I might have to get a copy on ebay

Returning to the subject, are disposable barbeques any good for non-grill cooking?

Last Edited by Capitaine at 02 Sep 09:31
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

In this corona virus world of closed borders, but open airports, I may be doing some funny flights.

When I did what you might call camping, many years ago, I hated the discomfort (it was e.g. a trip with 4 other blokes who were holding farting competitions) but I can manage anything for 1 night, with a decent sleeping bag.

There is a wide variety of tents, from about £20 from the retail outdoor shops, and at that price it’s probably crap. The hi-tech one-man ones go up to £500 and some of those are sort of self-erecting which is interesting because I don’t want to fiddle around with the rods which need to be inserted and bent to make the shape. It also should not require the strings to stretch it, if you get my drift.

Does anyone here have any experience?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes. I hate “Camping”…Wait for proper hotels to open and until then do Day trips…

ESSP, Sweden
Sign in to add your message