Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sightseeing Over London

I have just seen a C172 doing orbits over my house in central London (Kennington). I thought this was generally frowned on, other than Helicopters doing the Thames transit. I quite often see a Dragon Rapide, but don’t recall any singles….

Is there anyone who has done this in a single? Are there any tricks, or do you just ask and hope for the best?

Seems like it would be a pretty nice view, I would love to do it.

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

Errr don’t think there is a loophole on Rule 5 certainly not in the London TMA, London eye being a good VRP for the eastern boundary.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Based on UK ATCO postings in years past, these are called Non Standard Flights (NSF) and you apply for a permission from the CAA.

No idea what they are used for.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I just found that Classic Wings in Duxford sells sightseeing flights over London in a Dragon Rapide ! 399 £ for 2.

I am amazed.
Antique aircraft + commercial operation + overflight of a metropolis seems like an impossible equation to me.

LFOU, France

The Dragon is a twin.
What’s the issue?

United Kingdom

It’s a twin that probably can’t maintain altitude on one engine (fixed pitch propellers and only 200hp a side, even with both turning, the climb rate isn’t 1000fpm). However, it might still be able to go far enough on one engine to fly out of the built-up area should one fail.

Andreas IOM

Go to FR24 and look at the LA metro area.
This London restriction is quirky. What’s the history of it?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Vintage makes some nice press story

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain-flying-idUSKBN23C1WW

Or just some pilot fun on sunsets

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Sep 14:10
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I have done the Classic Wings Rapide flight and thoroughly enjoyed it – a great family day out combined with the Duxford museum during the day and the Flying Prom at Shuttleworth in the evening.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter_Mundy wrote:

I have done the Classic Wings Rapide flight and thoroughly enjoyed it – a great family day out combined with the Duxford museum during the day and the Flying Prom at Shuttleworth in the evening.

Wow in one day? that’s solid !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message