Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The absolute worst things in GA

Peter wrote:

the driver sees them and can hoot

I have often thought that light aircraft should have a horn. Not just for the forced landing on a beach/road scenario, but for when some chap is completing his paperwork whilst parked at the pumps :-)

EGLM & EGTN

I could add one really bad thing related to the above: schools charging brakes-off to brakes-on. This drives a lot of engine running while sitting at the pump, blocking the pump for everyone else. And then a mad rush to the runway… I can see the practical reasons for this billing but it does cause a lot of problems and congestion.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Possibly, but I think it’s also just general thoughtlessness and lack of self-awareness.

Same reason you wait at a petrol station behind someone who gets back into their car after paying and decides now is a nice time to send a few emails and perhaps rearrange their handbag.

If I am around other people/aircraft/vehicles there’s a little part of my (little) brain that’s always thinking “Are you in someone’s way, Graham? If so then move.” Or better yet position yourself in the first place so that you’re not likely to get in anyone’s way.

It’s just consideration for others. For many it just does not figure.

Last Edited by Graham at 20 May 21:24
EGLM & EGTN

Actually that is one thing about GA that really does but me. Quite a number of times I’ve been under time pressure to get away but need fuel. Someone has parked their aircraft at the self-service pumps and dispersed for 15-20 minutes while they go sort out other things.

That really bugs me. I’ve even had them eventually come back and spend ages sorting themselves in the cockpit…..enough that I’ve had to get out and walk over to them and have to ask them again to move.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Wothout sounding depressif, can we get “the absolute good things in GA?” as well (surely some do like high-viz vests )

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 May 22:17
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

dublinpilot wrote:

Quite a number of times I’ve been under time pressure to get away but need fuel. Someone has parked their aircraft at the self-service pumps and dispersed for 15-20 minutes while they go sort out other things

Really?

I’ve never seen that at a self-serve pump and typically get my own plane in and out as soon as possible. I wouldn’t leave my plane in the way for 30 seconds more than needed and if I saw a plane in the way for that length of time the owner would find it moved when returning. Tough luck if the owner doesn’t like it, 15 minutes after arriving at the pumps I’m likely to be gone and airborne.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 May 22:46

Capitaine wrote:

Typical greasy spoon southern UK airfield. Two men in matching flight suits covered in badges talking very loudly about their achievements. You automatically assume they’re combat veterans, fly for BA during the week, do warbird air displays at the weekend. They’re later spotted clambering clumsily into a dirtbag C152.

That’s like the Civil Air Patrol guys here. Full F-16 outfits, with map pockets on their knees on the flight suit. The the 3 guys step into an old shitty C172.

By my observation the CAP flies fairly tidy C182s and C206s, including some new and expensive examples. The purpose of the organization in 2020 is regardless not exactly clear to me, nor where the money comes from. They do have 550 flying aircraft, which is quite a number.

I have little bad to say about general aviation. In Europe there are some opportunities to avoid nonsense and I think it’s pretty wonderful in the US. It’s a golden age of availability and affordability for people like me with some money and time, but with other priorities as well. Flying and airport activity was very much the biggest factor for me in getting through recent events in which most of world went completely wacko, and to some degree remains so. Viva GA and the FAA which has said their primary objective is keeping US aviation, all of it, in continuous operation.

The worst thing in GA for me is probably anything associated with the world Garmin.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 May 04:16

Silvaire wrote:

The purpose of [CAP] in 2020 is regardless not exactly clear to me, nor where the money comes from.

The purpose is very easy to find on their website, even if coached in flowery language such as “vigilant true patriots” and “protecting the homeland”, but that’s the american style I guess. The financial statement took a minute or two longer to find.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The description is PR mush. I think its a government paid flying club that does some search and rescue. As a taxpayer I’d rather the funding be eliminated,

Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one