Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The absolute worst things in GA

As a fixed-wing pilot:

• ambiguity on availability of parking (e.g. Cannes) which often means you just need to try your luck, or be French
  • lack of Avgas in Italy
  • high minimum altitudes for airways

As a rotary pilot:

• being made to taxi down taxiways at empty airports (especially Spain)
  • huge landing charges at small strips that are often larger than planes that need to use tarmac (e.g. Enstone) when it’s free to land in the field next door
  • being told I can’t land because the airfield is closed due to runway contamination (happened in Spain)

As both:

• handling charges when I need no handling
  • AENA airports, universally
  • Fraport airports, universally
  • minor STCs costing thousands (e.g. adding an iPad bracket)
  • obsession with high visibility jackets in many airfields (looking at you in particular, Land’s End)
  • poor RT with many weekend flyers, who just LOVE talking on the radio
We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

1. Cowpats, especially fresh ones.
2. Checking/changing/fixing anything under the panel.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

As for high viz jackets…

I think I know the event which triggered that. A captain of an airline well known to many of us was killed on a UK airport doing his walk around in semidarkness when he was hit by a handling vehicle. He was severely injured, lost both his legs and eventually succumbed to his injuries. It was a huge shock to all of us who knew him. Shortly thereafter the UK mandated high viz jackets everywhere, followed by EASA.

Now I have been driving on airports for close to 40 years now, old fart that I am. I’ve had two fender benders: One at night time hitting another vehicle I could not see from the angle in the surprisingly dark conditions, two hitting a signpost with a beton pillar below in daylight. Both were difficult to detect. I’ve often enough seen situations both on the major airport I work at and on airfields where high visibility is highly desirable for anything which is moving or situated where you won’t necessarily expect it.

I am all for wearing high viz jackets on the tarmac. Doing so in coffeeshops e.t.c. is obviously not required and sometimes rather a thing like wearing stripes or so, but I will confess that I’ve been too lazy to take mine off occasionally during a short stop. By definition you can’t leave them in the plane so you’d have to carry them with you, so I sometimes simply kept it on, as that is more comfy and I like my hands free.

Sometimes when I go for a walk in darkness, I put it on as well if I walk on a road sometimes used by cars. Where I live, it is really dark once you leave the last houses behind. Driving home from work I’ve occasionally come by walkers who are hardly visible at all. I have decided for myself that it is the lesser evil to make myself visible than to end up having a roadside pub named after myself like the notorious “Flat Hedgehog” which used to be situated somewhere around Sussex.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I would say instructors telling newcomers all the negatives of flying upfront, and bad maintenance shops.

LFOU, France

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I am all for wearing high viz jackets on the tarmac.

Depends on the tarmac. A passenger terminal with aircraft coming in and pushing back all the time and service vehicles buzzing around is one thing. A sleepy GA apron during daytime, with a 20 meter walk to the GA terminal is something else.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Jujupilote wrote:

I would say instructors telling newcomers all the negatives of flying upfront

+28-day club check-outs when you have hundreds of hours (doesn’t affect me now though)

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

Airborne_Again wrote:

Depends on the tarmac.

^ This!

The substitution of common sense with one-size-fits-all regulations being pushed down from the big iron to the low end of GA, without doing a probability and risk analysis.

Yellow jackets are really a perfect example. An airline captain gets hit at night at a large airport by a service vehicle, so we need to wear hi-viz jackets everywhere in daytime on every grass strip? Also, we can fly a plane but cannot be trusted to decide ourselves when and where it may make sense to put on a hi-viz?

Similarly, a small jet overruns the runway in Samedan, and all piston aircraft pilots (and not the jet ones!) have to do a theory quiz every two years as a result of that. Or, a pilot buys an old plane with corroded engine, loses power on take-off (again in Samedan) and as a result, everyone has to pull their cylinders at TBO?

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 20 May 13:13

The case for hi-vis gear was originally, I am told, made for the railways where many railway workers were getting killed by trains. With hi-vis, the driver sees them and can hoot and they get off the track. A specific safety study was made there.

There is no known similar supporting case in any kind of airport environment, unless there are vehicles going around quite fast.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

At night they are useful for aircraft to taxi, daylight over the grass they make you less visible !
I understand that NOT wearing them make you more visible

In some airport you are not allowed to wear high-vis cloths from cycling shops but they are happy with roadwork kit

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

…not being able to go fly on a beautiful evening like this because the airport is closed.

EHTE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one