Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PC12 lands at closed RAF base because pilot “wanted to visit the beach”

I have two thoughts on the military airport aspect… The first (in response to comment above) is that I know people who have landed unannounced on US military airports, for example after an engine failure (Tigres aren’t so reliable). Both times they had to disassemble the plane to get it out of there. A hassle, yes, hysterical media coverage and internet discussion, zero. Whether they flew out or not it wouldn’t make the news because it’s not news worthy. And given that this is a military base, who told the media? The second point is that the endlessly acronymed military personnel make themselves look silly by being pushed around by the guy. What a joke.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 May 21:59

The second point is that the endlessly acronymed military personnel make themselves look silly by being pushed around by the guy. What a joke.

I half agree, but nobody got hurt and revenge will doubtless be served cold. I will be surprised if it consists of a GASCO course.

I would say the people on the day made a rational decision that (after ascertaining no threat) that they were better seeing the back of the individual and aircraft rather than an escalation, and stuff can be sorted out afterwards with relevant authorities. The US military security ethos (and the laws it is based upon) is not in any way comparable to the UK.

Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I think a US base will be somewhat more active than a UK base.

Maybe by a factor of 100x, for Valley

Valley is (or was) the busiest RAF base in the UK.

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

Silvaire wrote:

The second point is that the endlessly acronymed military personnel make themselves look silly by being pushed around by the guy. What a joke.

Maybe in Europe we are less concerned with the need of appearing tough? They had the ID on the guy. If the aircraft could depart safely, why not?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

NinerEchoPapa wrote:

Peter wrote:

I think a US base will be somewhat more active than a UK base.
Maybe by a factor of 100x, for Valley
Valley is (or was) the busiest RAF base in the UK.

Confirming Peter’s statement?

LSZK, Switzerland

I don’t think it would be that busy on a bank holiday Monday.

I don’t think the CAA have much reason to be interested.

There is obviously the potential to be investigated for a lockdown offence given it was in Wales, but that is not an aviation matter.

If it were a civilian airfield then there really would only be the issue of using it without the owner’s permission which is (in the scheme of things) a relatively minor civil matter and again not an aviation issue.

Obviously it is a military base, so that complicates things in terms of which rules he may have broken. I know nothing about what powers the UK military have to sanction civilians, but suspect they are minimal.

I agree there is absolutely nothing to be gained from detaining him and his aircraft, unless you are concerned with posturing and looking tough.

Perhaps he mistook it for Mona?

Last Edited by Graham at 30 May 11:03
EGLM & EGTN

MattL wrote:

I would say the people on the day made a rational decision that (after ascertaining no threat) that they were better seeing the back of the individual and aircraft rather than an escalation, and stuff can be sorted out afterwards with relevant authorities. The US military security ethos (and the laws it is based upon) is not in any way comparable to the UK.

It was not the decision that I found humorous, but the apparent dithering beforehand. I would love to have seen the process in which somebody said you can’t leave until tomorrow, the pilot said I don’t care, I’m leaving, and then the story changed under pressure. Pythonesque.

Graham wrote:

I don’t think the CAA have much reason to be interested.

Agreed, why would they? There doesn’t seem to be any lack of planning or dangerous operation, the track for the flight home looks like a sightseeing diversion to me.

It would still be interesting to know who thought it interesting to blab to the press, and their motivation.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 May 14:01

I guess they probably realised, once he said he was going anyway, that they (probably, I am not sure) have no powers to detain a civilian or impound his aircraft.

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message