Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which members of your government are GA pilots?

From here

Are any other Government guys pilots, besides Grant Shapps?
(I assume it wasn’t him.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

For Estonia, an unproportional number of GA pilots in high places.. No cabinet members ,but the Speaker of Parliament bought an ulralight and plans to get licensed,
Head of CAA is active GA pilot, also chairman of the board of the state company that manages airports is GA pilot.

EETU, Estonia

I know for sure that Friedrich Merz is a GA Pilot and owns two aircraft (often misreported as “business jets” in the German media). While he’s not in the cabinet (yet), he is a high ranking member of Merkels CDU and one of her possible successors for the Chancellorship.

I don’t know if any of the current cabinet members fly GA…I think not.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

None I have ever heard of in Denmark.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I’m not aware of any in Ireland.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I have never heard of anyone in Sweden.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Norbert Hofer in Austria. He was leading the Ministry of Infrastructure before Austria’s ÖVP-FPÖ administration got dissolved.

Our current minister of transport in France is a former NetJet then JetFly pilot. Not sure he still fly GA…

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Geoffrey Boot MHK (for Glenfaba and Peel) who is a vice chairman of UK AOPA and chairman of AOPA Isle of Man region. And apparently co-founder of Flyer magazine. He’s a back bench MHK rather than in government though, but he was only elected in 2015.

Last Edited by alioth at 01 Jun 08:45
Andreas IOM

The UK has the APPG (All-Party Parliamentary Group on general aviation) whose members are listed here but I don’t know how many of them fly GA. For sure the vast majority don’t but some definitely are active, perhaps with low profile.

Grant Shapps, the current minister for transport, was in it but resigned as required when appointed minister. He is obviously in a great position to achieve things now but at the same time has to be careful because of the portrayal of GA as a hobby for the filthy rich.

Lembit Opik was quite active for GA as an MP but his profile diminished a bit due to some stuff in his private life.

Gerald Howarth is a pilot and was pretty active for GA when he was an MP.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message