Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Interesting fire extinguisher

I would be concerned about a device which runs until exhausted, with no way to stop it.

Also can you imagine trying to put a fire out during flight? I can see a lithium battery catching fire as the most likely scenario, and then you want another approach (a battery bag, for example).

It would make sense to have some of these in the engine compartment instead, but I wonder how well they work in an area with a high airflow. They are however used around jet engines, but perhaps there isn’t much airflow around there. Whereas in piston GA the entire compartment has a lot of airflow – except behind the engine.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I can see a lithium battery catching fire as the most likely scenario

Alas, this system is not adequate for metal fires :-| neither are the halon extinguishers we carry for that matter. If there were a cheap / portable extinguisher for lithium fires, I would put one in the plane.

ELLX

lionel wrote:

If there were a cheap / portable extinguisher for lithium fires, I would put one in the plane.

For mobile phone batteries and the like, you can just carry a tinful of sand. I’m serious.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message