Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Good news- EDHG Lüneburg saved by referendum!

Good morning,

even in these times, as weird and problematic as they are, some good things do happen!
The citizens of Lüneburg, Lower Saxony, held a referendum on the future of their airfield yesterday, and an overwhelmingly 82,5% voted for it!

The aeroclub, which also is the airfield operator, was threatened with the discontinuation of their land lease contract. As usual, someone thought they could “develop” the area into a business district.
The club then became very active and pointed out their value to the local community to gather support for a referendum. Having a forest fire surveillance plane based there surely helped to get the message across.
Last year they also had a fairly large fly-in/ festival which attracted not only pilots, but also the local population. With that support, they could demand the referendum, which now saved the place!

When I heard about this on the radio this morning, I decided to share it, as we all need some good news during all of this!

For those who can read German, this is the official statement: https://www.hansestadtlueneburg.de/Home-Hansestadt-Lueneburg/Stadt-und-Politik/Wahlen/buergerentscheid-2020.aspx

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

Nice. The fact that 35% of the eligible population voted is also quite impressive for such a relative “niche issue”.

I’ll add it to my “to visit” list :)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Luneburg is a gem of an airfield just SE of Hamburg. Didnt know it was under threat, so glad the community rallied to support and save it.

Most people lost all hope, especially after a glider collision happened last July. But I think this example shows that today in central Europe it is entirely possible to save airfields, if one is able to integrate into the associated communities.

Hopefully some people learn from this, because at some fields the tendency is to keep a low profile as to not upset anyone. But if no one sees you, they also do not see what you could provide for them, on top of just being some abstract “infrastructure”. Although my first and so far only visit to the place was during said airfield festival, I got the impression that being an emergency service base and offering a well-reputed leisure activity for teenagers (a.k.a. glider flying) earned them a good standing.

Last Edited by CharlieRomeo at 15 Jun 16:03
EDXN, ETMN, Germany

Great news. Let’s fly there and visit the town to thank them !

LFOU, France

Great news!

I hope the opponents won’t use the low turnout to claim that the referendum has no legal binding?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I hope the opponents won’t use the low turnout to claim that the referendum has no legal binding?

Didn’t work for Brexit!

Forever learning
EGTB

I think this example shows that today in central Europe it is entirely possible to save airfields, if one is able to integrate into the associated communities.

This is an excellent result. Probably there was some clever campaigning also; that always helps.

Didn’t work for Brexit!

That one got 72%.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Stickandrudderman wrote:

Didn’t work for Brexit!

Nope but if memory serves it worked in Germany before. It did elsewhere, where for any referendum to have legal binding a certain minimal quote of participants is required.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

According to the official statement, 20% were needed. Because that was exceeded significantly I do not expect legal action against the result.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message