Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

France "Citizen's Climate Convention"

Apparently, the avgas tax increase (23cts/L IIRC) is not in the “projet de loi” which will be submitted to the parliament this year.
The complete ban on banner towing is in.
Public use airports would not be allowed any new increase in capacity (but not restricted-use ones).
But any MP can submit a new article to the vote.
Will post a longer analysis if I have time.

Fingers crossed

LFOU, France

I’m starting to think a guillotine wasn’t that bad an idea after all…

EBST, Belgium

airways wrote:

I’m starting to think a guillotine wasn’t that bad an idea after all…

It’s always the question who uses it. In the hands of Robbespierre or the Nazis it was an instrument of terror.

It would probably beat the torture to death sentences currently in place in some countries though.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The complete ban on banner towing is in.

Why?

What France should really be upset about is the absolute zero control over the advertising on the roadsides, its an eyesore. And alot of it is downright misleading – ie “LeaderPrice a 2mn”… Yeah…at light speed..!!!
#thread drift:
On a sunny winter sunday, I once drove from a sign to the shop it advertised “a 2mn”, and it took just over 5 mins without breaking the speed limit… Then, just for fun, ’cause I was in my “fun” car, I seriously hammered it back to the sign… best I could do was 2mins & 35 seconds from the Shop Jnct to the sign, so that didnt include another 15-30 seconds to get into the carpark and park…

Regards, SD..

skydriller wrote:

And alot of it is downright misleading – ie “LeaderPrice a 2mn”… Yeah…at light speed..!!!

I’ve seen such signs elsewhere which indicated “KFC 150 km”. I though they are wrong, but no, they were right. The road sign was somewhere near Burgas, the actual restaurant was near Plovdiv. I asked them why, they said, “we wanted to make sure you know one is coming up, rather than going to Pizza Hut or whatever it was at half way”. Might work for some….

Mooney_Driver wrote:

It would probably beat the torture to death sentences currently in place in some countries though.

Didn’t think we’d see the day you of all people would be describing these COVID measures in such harsh terms @mooney_driver ;-) Welcome to the dark side ;-) ;-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

Didn’t think we’d see the day you of all people would be describing these COVID measures in such harsh terms @mooney_driver ;-) Welcome to the dark side ;-) ;-)

Unfortunately he is right. A team of Swedish experts on international health have calculated that anti-Covid measures so far has claimed as many lives as the disease itself! Perhaps not unexpectedly almost all the “collateral damage” are young people living in poor countries. The rate of infant/childhood deaths have risen for the first time in decades. They also noted that the number of child marriages have increased as schools have closed.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

ROFL, actually I was referring to so called “humane” execution methods used in the US and other places i.e. “lethal injection”. I thing all in all the guilloutine is probably preferrable to this.

Airborne_Again wrote:

A team of Swedish experts on international health have calculated that anti-Covid measures so far has claimed as many lives as the disease itself!

I would like to see the calculation. In countries that had significant excess deaths, this is obviously complete nonsense, but it would be interesting to see how the knock-on effects pan out across the world, we live in our own luxury bubble and don’t really see the knock on effects.

Overall, however, the statement itself is not really meaningful, just an interesting soundbite.

If you have a severe lockdown and 100 people out of 100,000 die of the lockdown, and because the lockdown works only 10 die of Covid, the statement is true.
However, with Covid running rampant, around 1-2,000 people would die.

Biggin Hill

Airborne_Again wrote:

A team of Swedish experts on international health have calculated that anti-Covid measures so far has claimed as many lives as the disease itself!

Sorry to say but this (unintended) really sounds funny.

There is a quite popular German book “Kangaroo Chronicles” that explains a hierarchy of how to make sure people believe rumors:
1. Tell the rumor
2. I have heard that …
3. I have read that …
4. I have Rad that scientists found out …
5. I have read that Swedish scientists found out …

to conclude finally that the best way to spread a rumor is: “I have read in a classified British intel report that Swedish scientists found out by observing Finnish test persons that … touchscreens increase body weight”.

From that book “Swedish scientists found out …” has become quite a popular quote… ;-)

Germany
Sign in to add your message