Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many people have practically stopped flying during coronavirus?

It seems obvious that many have completely packed it in – all over Europe.

I see various indirect indications. For example there is near-zero interest in discussing any fly-ins – even if the date is “up in the air”. Also joinups are generally proportional to people flying and picking up EuroGA leaflets

One has to hope this is not permanent because once you have lost currency and confidence it will be very hard to get back into it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s not something I’ve noticed, however I think it would be easy to miss, as you perhaps just wouldn’t see people you have beforehand. Those I know with aircraft generally seem keen to fly. I would imagine renting (especially with school currency requirements) would be easy to put off and do without.

I too hope people will miss flying and feel the desire to return to it, especially if they’ve got bored not doing a lot. However If they’ve been busy with other things or possibly new hobbies it could easily fall by the wayside, especially with the hassle.

Peter I think your comment about losing currency and confidence is spot on. I believe it is all too easy to think you can just pick up where you left off last time you were PIC but one must beware. I have been flying for many decades and because of my age lockdown has been rather difficult. I have been flying only 3 times so far this year and as I like my life (living?) I realised I needed to be very cautious and did a few circuits each time before heading off. It was good for me and also good to ensure all systems were working properly whilst still in the circuit.

UK, United Kingdom

I don’t think I was ready for a flyin just after flying resumed, I think pushing back 3months later is more healthy for currency,

Last two month I managed 10 circuits and 2h of IMC time, I think things just started to click now and this is with load of simulator hours and few hours of good days flying, don’t think I was keen for Croatia flyin by end of Mai as I never been there and need to tick LFAT first

The aircrafts I flew also had load of glitches: Garmin setups and bugs, U/S VOR, innacurate fuel gauge…

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Jul 11:55
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I dont see a big reduction of flying here in France, but the Fly-in Airshows have been cancelled as with all events/large gatherings.
I think that any fly-in is going to be a bit of a challenge for the near future even if its a small event because the main thing about such a meet up is the social aspect and this just isnt the same if everyone needs to stay separate or mask up… Plus the rules for most places are still pretty fluid and variable across Europe despite political proclamations.

Regards, SD..

There is no reduction in Sweden. On the contrary, my club has seen a substantial increase since last year.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In our club activity has picked up like crazy since the lockdown ended and never really stopped anyway. That said, I have noticed a few of the older members not flying.

I wonder if the extra activity is because lots of people are not having to go to work, and are getting paid enough to be ok, so they go flying?

Normally weekday activity is far lower than weekend activity, and nowadays all 7 days are the same for many people.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I wonder if the extra activity is because lots of people are not having to go to work,

I can only speak for our club. We had a big change in demographic over the past couple of years and most new members work in IT one way or another. Of course, working from home (as they all do now) means they can get their work done at 3 am (which seems to fit most of them just nicely, thank you very much) and then fly during the day. There’s also a load of training going on, mostly IR. I just had a look at our online scheduling system and we’re super busy two weeks out.

I have packed it in because I can’t get to my plane. My last flight was in February.

Tököl LHTL
65 Posts
Sign in to add your message