Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

2013 Steward Cup air race

Got my 1st air race on Saturday, Nav for Michael Wingenroth in G-TSKY in the 2013 Stewards Cup 3 R's ( Royal Aero Club Records Racing and Rally Association) air race at Shobdon :)

Was absolutely amazing...

Sorry no time for any pics during the race....just a bit too busy!

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

Finally a use for all that PPL nav training! Sounds like fun.

EGTK Oxford

Jude: tell us more. Is this race a good alternative for the Coupe Breitling race in France in which I now participated twice with a team? I can't find information on it on Google.

EDLE, Netherlands

You just had to get that pic of the stopwatch in there

How does racing work? Surely somebody could just turn up with a Spitfire, or a TBM850, and win every time?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jude: thank you for pointing us to such a wonderful competition. It is actually open to other nationalities as well and the "Schneider 100 race" is a competition in between countries initiated by a foreigner but true: the British hold this cup now for many, many years.

EDLE, Netherlands

If you email me the file, Jude, I will upload it somewhere from where you can link it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How does the 'race' work? I appreciate that different aircraft have different handicaps and start before others, but how does one get an advantage over another. I assume one cant cut a big corner and get a transit through CAS, or deviate from a prescribed route of some kind. Also, do they ensure you dont have any GPS' on board somehow?

Sounds like fun :-)

There are 2 video's on the racing website as well as all the forms and documents needed to sign up. The video's explain the handicap system. I am thinking about signing up to the racing season for next year :-)

EDLE, Netherlands

Just watched both videos too and I'm also very tempted too - looks great fun! What is the timetable like for the year and if you enter, do you need to enter a minimum number of races over the year or can you pick and choose? What is required to get a race licence? Is it dangerous and have there been any accidents in recent history?

15 Posts
Sign in to add your message