Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Euro and GA

Jujupilote wrote:

Once Jason posted pictures of JFK and commented « no slots needed », I guess the discussion Europe vs US was over.

I also paid 50% less at JFK than I pay at Egelsbach!

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

Historically few in Europe could teach without a CPL and practically most did the CPL/IR and the 14 exams

Might be right for UK but definitely not for “Europe”. None of my Glider teacher ever had a CPL (or even close to it).

US training market works because there are tons of ATPL candidates that need to do time building to finally get into an airliner cockpit. As in Europe you don’t need an ATPL to sit in an airline cockpit we don’t have this pool of CFIs. Applying FAA rules to Europe w/o changing ATPL rules would kill the entire GA. If we also apply these rules we just kill the European Glider Scene (plus lots of the UL/Microlight market).

Also it’s quite interesting that (at least it feels like) most of new types in recent years and significant innovations in engines (Rotes, JetFuel-SEP,etc.) come out of European regulations and not from the US.

Germany

Jujupilote wrote:

Once Jason posted pictures of JFK and commented « no slots needed », I guess the discussion Europe vs US was over.

But I don’t think we please Gallois by repeating it over and over again:)

Miami International.

Free parking and landing with fuel otherwise $50.

Free buffet – help yourself.

Free drinks – help yourself.

Free arrival and departure slot when you like – just call up before you want to go.

and the ramp staff smile a lot, and wish you “have a nice day”.

(and with apologies).

Most of the training in my US area is Chinese and European students. Probably 200 movements per day at my base attributable to that activity.

None of my Glider teacher ever had a CPL

Gliders, sure.

I am not sure if this thread is going the way Gallois wanted The US v. Europe theme is inexhaustible but also a discussion is always without any outcome, since each community is absolutely rigidly established within its own framework of rules, activity levels, funding, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It certainly has had an outcome in my case

Silvaire wrote:

It certainly has had an outcome in my case

Love it.

Voting with your feet then.

Europe is a truly wonderful place to vacation.

Silvaire wrote:

Europe is a truly wonderful place to vacation.

Oddly enough I feel the same about the US!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I learnt to fly to see Europe, and after 2600hrs I have achieved just a small part of that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message