‘ear, ’ear’

A Frenchman leaving in England with a H in his glider registration

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

and an Englishman living in France and spying on the Germans;

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Let me help you out;

Thanks!

Cobalt wrote:

The theory: dropping the audible H where it is required ’as long been seen as the ’allmark of the lower working class, and ’ence those upwardly mobile ’ave to learn ’ow to use it, and on occasion are overdoing it. So we get Haich.

Wow!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I basically had to read this aloud before I understood it The Wikipedia page is good.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

I wonder what our American friends on here think?

Like (h)erb?

Cobalt wrote:

and on occasion are overdoing it.

Or hand hon hoccasion hare hoverdoing hit.

Older English-language books with imported words obviously don’t pronounce the H, as in ‘we stayed in an (h)otel’ (not a H’otel). I found linguistics dreadfully boring at university, but now fascinating.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

As to the Yanks – dont get me started.

The first time I flew there, the controller kept warning me about “Turkeys”. Turkey passing down your left hand side, same height, at half a mile.

My God, I thought, firstly I never knew that Turkeys flew, and wow, I also didnt know that the controllers were that good that they could call them as traffic for you. I was starting to understand given the numbers why they were so popular for Thanks Giving.

I am not sure when, and I think I had asked someone, that it turned out all the Turkeys were PA28’s or Warriors, which for some reason back then they had taken to call them.

.. .. .. and of course when it comes to our American friends this one always brings a smile – it is at the other end of the spectrum, instead of dropping letters, the obsession is with adding superflous words;

First time I flew in the US (In a rented Turkey…) I was En Route (pronounced as the french on root) to Pompano (pronounced as in Belgrano)

The Miami center controller did not understand a word I said.

“I am sorry sir, you are what to where…?”

Eventually the penny dropped and he said “Oh, Turky 345 you are In Rowt to Pomm Pano…”

Not get me started on “hood” and “trunk”.

Cobalt wrote:

The theory: dropping the audible H where it is required ’as long been seen as the ’allmark of the lower working class, and ’ence those upwardly mobile ’ave to learn ’ow to use it, and on occasion are overdoing it. So we get Haich.

Last Edited by Pilot-H at 15 Jul 11:41
Sign in to add your message