Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

H'ache

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Thanks Giving

It’s Thanksgiving

There are many dialects in the US, FAA controllers like the military come from and work all over the place, so understanding pronunciation can also be an issue for those of us from within the US. Not unlike German, but as with Germans many Americans are familiar with at least some of the regional variations and can deal with a local accent. Obviously also true in the UK as long as you aren’t in Newcastle.

It seems to me the local pronunciation of Pompano is how it would be in Italian (which I speak conversationally). I have no idea how to judge what is correct. Birmingham, Alabama might be a bigger deal for those in the UK.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Jul 18:09

Haitch is just wrong, it is Aitch. And no one has ever accused Australians of being posh.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC – I thought there was Dame Edna – surely she is a bit posh?

Fuji_Abound wrote:

JasonC – I thought there was Dame Edna – surely she is a bit posh?

Ha. True.

EGTK Oxford

Some 15 years ago I used to conduct refresher classes in Aeronautical English which were a mandatory part of the licence revalidation process for Air Traffic Controllers at the Centre in Aix en Provence. Pronunciation was an important element of the syllabus.

To emphasize the importance of remembering not to drop their “H’aches” I would tell of an airprox which occurred at a French international airport when an American crewed airship flying under a Special VFR clearance in limited visibility was cleared to transit overhead (the) Tower but proceeded to leisurely cross the approach to the active runway towards a red and white painted obstruction on the airfield perimeter. The dropped “H’ache” in overhead could have caused a nasty accident!

The tongue-twister (for a French speaker) I had every member of my classes repeatedly chant out loud was “Hurricanes hardly happen in Hampshire”.

I must confess I am totally puzzled about what H’ache is supposed to be Is it “headache”?

Where I live, near Brighton, the “lower classes” don’t say the “t” so they say Brigh’on.

At univ, in the 1970s, I was trying to chat up talk to a girl called Sue, from Birmingham. I asked her where she is from and she replied “Biiiiiiiirmiiiiinghaaaaam” and even though she said it about 5 times I never got it In the end, the guy who got lucky with her, guess what, had a … CAR … while I had a … motorbike

But regardless, the biggest language crime right now is starting sentences with “so”

EDIT: just realised what the subject is saying

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

EDIT: just realised what the subject is saying

Peter wrote:

the guy who got lucky with her, guess what, had a … CAR … while I had a … motorbike

and guess what you now have an aircraft and he is unemployed – only joking.

Peter wrote:

But regardless, the biggest language crime right now is starting sentences with “so”

Dont get me started. The other one if you have noticed is whenever a politician is given a question now, they start by saying a totally patronising – “that is a very good question, or some such like”. So .. .. ..

So! How on earth did that start and who started it?Make them write out a 1000 times, “I should not start an answer to a question with so unless I mean so.” Otherwise just take them out and shoot them:)

France

“that is a very good question”

The entertainment value of that one is maximised when utilised in an answer to Laura Kuenssberg The hardest thing by far is saying it (to her) with a totally straight face and Mat Hancock deserves utmost respect for that

How on earth did that start

The earliest examples I recall are around 5 years old. But it took off big-time only in the last 1 year or so.

It has replaced “Well…” which ruled the roost for decades.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So as you so, so shall you reep. (Galatians).

Sign in to add your message