Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Class E Airspace

I was planning on Skydemon, a trip to Rouen (LFOP) when I noticed they have implemented a large swathe of class “E” airspace. This would mean getting a clearance to enter.
Then I spotted this from SKYbrary and refers to UK airspace. “It should be noted that VFR traffic cannot infringe class E airspace because, under ICAO rules, neither an ATC clearance nor radio communication is required to enter or operate within it, unless filed national differences call for one or the other (or both). Traffic following instrument flight rules (IFR) can infringe class E airspace when not in receipt of a clearance to enter it”. . This seems to contradict my understanding as I was always told
you needed a clearance to enter class E.
What do you think?

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

Class E is controlled only for IFR traffic.

So VFR you cannot infringe and you don’t have to ask for clearance.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

But Rouen ATC will gladly offer FIS to you, even VFR :)
Class E is great.

LFOU, France

Funny how class E is so unfamiliar to UK pilots that it creates such questions (no offence! Asking questions is always good on EuroGA).

In Germany class E is more or less everywhere, starting either at 2500 or 1700 ft. As a VFR pilot I disregard it completely. For IFR pilots it ensures you cannot be dropped out of CAS in the oft discussed UK fashion.

So, like jujupilote said, class E is great!

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

When I used to fly abroad originally in 2003+ I too planned French routes in Class G only.

I think a lot of the problem is the crappy PPL training prevalent in Europe (yes, everywhere, but few criticise their own country on EuroGA ) which is almost totally nationally specific and which in the UK is focused on making pilots believe that if they go into “airways” they will be guillotined. Most UK CAS is Class A… and indeed you will be guillotined, metaphorically speaking.

So when UK pilots see “airways” on the French maps then…

Since I started doing my trip writeups I have been telling everyone that it is not the lines on the map that matter, it is the airspace class. And E is not taught in the UK other than as a question in air law which everyone forgets ASAP.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

VFR traffic – no clearance required
IFR traffic – a clearance is required to enter

Just watch out though, as there may be other mandatory requirements associated with the Class E, as in the case of the new Farnborough take over of the south of England. The 2 new bits of Class E (CTA 8 and 9) are both TMZ as well. So if you are VFR but don’t have a Transponder you can’t go into this airspace.

EGLK, United Kingdom

And TMZs in Germany are now actually also RMZs, but they don‘t call them such…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Colin wrote:

Just watch out though, as there may be other mandatory requirements associated with the Class E, as in the case of the new Farnborough take over of the south of England. The 2 new bits of Class E (CTA 8 and 9) are both TMZ as well. So if you are VFR but don’t have a Transponder you can’t go into this airspace.

And very importantly, don’t squawk 2000 (IFR) going through that Class E airspace as that would be entering that airspace without a clearance. VFR does not require a clearance but observation of Class E minima.

I admire the patience of Farnborough controllers when VFR pilots regularly call them for a clearance through class E airspace.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

And E is not taught in the UK other than as a question in air law which everyone forgets ASAP.

Which is a bit weird because the UK has had class E for years – at least for any of us who live up north.

Andreas IOM

Propman wrote:

I was planning on Skydemon, a trip to Rouen (LFOP) when I noticed they have implemented a large swathe of class “E” airspace. This would mean getting a clearance to enter.

If you are landing there as destination you will get VFR/SVFR clearance irrespective of airspace as long as weather play the ball maybe some would recall when Channel Islands airports were Class A and accepting VFR

PS: no need for clearance to enter Class E as VFR

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Jul 19:50
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message