Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stereotypical / patronising picture of GA in official publications

From here

I didnt get past the use of a baldfaced cultural stereotype on the cover, which made me chuckle. I guess wokeness hasn’t registered yet with French officialdom.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Even with google translate, the meaning was lost on me

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, don’t you know french pilots make karaoke contests in the cockpit while flying in CAS ?

LFOU, France

Buckerfan wrote:

I guess wokeness hasn’t registered yet with French officialdom.

I find the French “Safety Cartoons” infinitely more instantly to the point and amusing than the ridiculous EASA ones…

Why does EASA feel the need to re-invent the wheel on absolutely EVERYTHING… including cartoons FFS !!
They could so easily have just used the DGAC ones as they are, or better yet translate to English/Spanish//German etc..

Regards, SD..

Flying is a joy in France and how better to enjoy it than a little song, in Italian of course.
“Che bella Cosa na jurnata ’e sole….”

Last Edited by gallois at 27 Jul 16:53
France

Jujupilote wrote:

Well, don’t you know french pilots make karaoke contests in the cockpit while flying in CAS ?

Brit pilots (as well as ATS) like to sing “Shaggy It Wasn’t Me” near CAS

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Jul 17:18
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

skydriller wrote:

I find the French “Safety Cartoons” infinitely more instantly to the point and amusing than the ridiculous EASA ones…

Why does EASA feel the need to re-invent the wheel on absolutely EVERYTHING… including cartoons FFS !!
They could so easily have just used the DGAC ones as they are, or better yet translate to English/Spanish//German etc..

Regards, SD..

I guess it’s a matter of taste. I find them childish and condescending. The DGAC systematically treats non-professional pilots as if they were kids to be schooled on how to behave.
It is fine to raise awareness on safety but there are better ways to do it I think, ways that respect the intellect of the people they are addressed to.

LFST, France

Seba wrote:

I guess it’s a matter of taste. I find them childish and condescending.

I dont disagree entirely, @Seba : But have you seen the EASA ones? Some of those have distinctly dodgy advice in them aswell, like the one suggesting a huge long drag-it in final and being “stable on approach at 2.5NM, if not go around” or some such rubbish…

Regards, SD..

skydriller wrote:

I dont disagree entirely, @Seba : But have you seen the EASA ones? Some of those have distinctly dodgy advice in them aswell, like the one suggesting a huge long drag-it in final and being “stable on approach at 2.5NM, if not go around” or some such rubbish…

There was a recent one advocating stable at 500’, “which means at 1.5 NM or 2.8 km from the runway threshold” given a 3° approach. I can’t say that sounds unreasonable to me if you operate from an airport with a 3° PAPI and reasonably long runway. Particularly if there is mixed traffic as it was in that particular case.

If the runway is short, a steeper descent may well be more appropriate. At my airfield (630 m grass runway) we use approximately 1,5 km finals. with a correspondingly steeper descent.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I think GA is steering a narrow line between looking like

• a “sporting activity”; this is the “VFR-only” aeroclub culture, often structured as a “sporting body” for tax concessions, and
  • a “serious activity”; this is perhaps what the “IR” community is trying to look like

The former gets you deregulation, but treats GA like kids. The latter gets you airspace access, but scares the “professional pilots” and related bodies such as CAAs, ATC, airline pilot unions, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message