Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pilot and iOS/Android Mobile App Developer wanted

Hi, I’m looking for a mobile app dev (ios/android) that is ideally also a pilot. It is regarding a cool project for flight data and analysis.
Please do reach out if interested or you know someone!
Thank you!

always learning
LO__, Austria

In case this is not a professional but more hobby project, I can only point that learning Swift (and especially Swift UI) is very, very easy, so you may just want to do it yourself; that’s what I ended up doing for my Apple Watch MetarTaf app

EGTF, LFTF

I think these are huge jobs IF you want them done properly, neatly, etc – unless you can do it yourself in which case it is easy

The EuroGA airport database started off as a “simple job” (and one pilot made a start on it, for free, in Laravel, but after a number of months dropped out) and in the end I paid something like 7k (out of my pocket; the donations are way way short of that sort of money) to a programmer in Poland. I think if I had the expertise to config a server (OS, web server, PHP, database, CSS, etc) and was good at PHP, it would have been done in a week or two.

Good luck finding somebody willing to do it as a fun project You might, but my guess is that by the time the spec is drawn up properly, and various bugs are sent back to the programmer to fix, most will lose interest and leave you with a 3/4 finished job, which nobody will want to touch because picking up another person’s code is hard work.

However, a phone app should be less work than the above.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for your input. It’s a professional project. In my opinion there are quite a few software devs in the private flying sphere, so I try here to find someone.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Yes because for an iPhone app, the deployment is managed 100% by Apple – although today with AWS, Heroku and the like, this has become way simpler even for web apps than 5 years ago.

EGTF, LFTF

There are many very clever programmers among pilots; I agree.

AWS/Heroku/etc give you a start with a basic preconfigured server, avoiding much of the donkeywork. EuroGA uses the same sort of hosting. Still leaves you with a lot of work though, unless the project is trivial. But that is off topic for Snoopy’s request

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It depends :-) I have built this to automate my flight debriefing. Building the analysis script was maybe a day, deploying on Heroku with a Postgres database, including learning how to do it, half a day. Putting my plane’s performance charts from the POH in code took the longest :-)

EGTF, LFTF

@Snoopy we have several such people in our club, shoot me a DM if you like.

Thanks 172!

always learning
LO__, Austria
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message