Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to get into an airliner RHS with almost no experience of flying yourself

RobertL18C wrote:

It would be interesting to get more statistics on this.

Check it out in the report. Note that it is four years old. Opinions may have changed since.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

including the CPL qualifying cross country.

Ok, yes, there is the 300nm ICAO CPL requirement. I forgot, having been told by an FTO guy that the EASA CPL is just a dual VFR flying (map+stopwatch) section.

So the min solo time for an airliner could be down to the PPL solo + CPL X/C, so say 13hrs.

As an aside, because FAA training can be done wholly freelance / outside a school, when you come to do your CPL, if you can show you have met the CPL x/c requirements on some VFR trips previously, that meets the requirement. You can’t do that in EASA-land because the CPL x/c needs to be done via an FTO so no matter how experienced a VFR pilot you are, you still have to do this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sebastian_G wrote:

Then I asked if he would rent it to someone who just did pass his ATPL test in it at his school. He said definitely not. ;-)

And I’ve had people who have passed their CPL/IR two weeks earlier yet their performance in a C150 was at a level that I wouldn’t let them self fly hire. Yet at the same time there was a 15 hour student solo in the circuit.

Recently I’ve had graduates of UPRT course infact finished the course the day before who I wouldn’t let go solo in the circuit.

One of the great things about the MPL is the simm’s that are used are ones where all the aircraft are actually parked in the desert. Can’t blame them really they would only be collecting dust otherwise.

There are still alternatives.
Airways College in Agen France includes time building in 2-students crews. After their PPL, they go out and fly 40hours each, which makes 80 hours solo VFR experience. They can even take their family or friends for a couple flight. At least they trust their students :)
The course is 99k€ with 200+ hours, cheaper than others with far less hours.
link

I don’t know these guys, but I like to promote what seems positive to me.

LFOU, France

So the min solo time for an airliner could be down to the PPL solo + CPL X/C, so say 13hrs.

It is around 70 hours for a CPL and around 20 hours for an MPL.

I haven’t observed unsafe flying by integrated or MPL graduates, they in fact behave professionally with good airmanship. They will 99% of them fly a raw ILS better than an experienced pilot:)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

But isn’t it just a bit bizarre that they’re not actually qualified to fly anything at all on their own?

If I were an MPL graduate I’d feel in quite a weak employment position. Even more so that any other airline pilot, which is (in the grand scheme of things) a very weak employment position in itself.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

If I were an MPL graduate I’d feel in quite a weak employment position. Even more so that any other airline pilot, which is (in the grand scheme of things) a very weak employment position in itself.

I am sure losing Class 1 medical or job early in your career is game over: most will not even have CPL+FI to keep some sort of aviation going nor will have university degree to keep something else going, in the other hand those who go modular while having invested tons of money but at least had fun will have few qualifications and human contacts that are outside “B737/A320 TR & Cockpit”

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Sep 10:29
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

You can add an SEP rating to an MPL.

And an FI rating for that matter. However you do have to meet the 200TT and 150PIC and 10 hours on instrument criteria etc

Last Edited by Bathman at 02 Sep 10:57

Bathman wrote:

And an FI rating for that matter. However you do have to meet the 200TT and 150PIC and 10 hours on instrument criteria etc

Doing that when you just lost a job will be tough though (getting PPL is marginally less but don’t think they can hold MPL+PPL?)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes they can. Local students do that with the flying club at Ljungbyhed while doing their MPL at the University.

ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message