Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to get into an airliner RHS with almost no experience of flying yourself

If I were an MPL graduate I’d feel in quite a weak employment position.

Today they can transfer to another airline using the same type. An MPL on a relatively rare type, may be at a disadvantage, but an MPL with a 320 TR is probably on a level playing field or possibly at an advantage over a white tail frozen ATPL CPL.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I know a couple of MPL holders with Dash 8 ratings. Might be a bit tricky for them.

Again, aside from the job prospects it’s just a bit odd to me that they aren’t qualified to fly as PIC of anything at all.

EGLM & EGTN

I know few who got ATPL on modular and their SEP lapsed, they will never fly SEP again as it “drops out of the sky when the engine quits”, funny how that perception is shared by few of my non-aviation friends and few of my friends who fly A320 for living

So some of it is not specific for integrated students

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Sep 07:20
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

So for some airlines, if the captain gets incapacitated, the MPL copilot does his first solo with 200 pax ? That would make a strange PA announcement

LFOU, France

Ibra wrote:

I know few who got ATPL on modular and their SEP lapsed, they will never fly SEP again as it “drops out of the sky when the engine quits”, funny how that perception is shared by few of my non-aviation friends and few of my friends who fly A320 for living

Weird mindset. Do they think the same of their A320’s if both engines quit? That it “drops out of the sky?” At least in a SEP you have a low stall speed (I found widely different numbers for an A320, but all of them well above the 60 kts that are the limit for SEPs), short landing distance and thus a lot of options if your engine quits.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

Weird mindset. Do they think the same of their A320’s if both engines quit?

Well the outcome mainly relies on what they believe before it happens, if they think it’s game over already there is no point opening the QRH, it will not help on calming some nerves !

I think we are done with the days where airline pilots teach PPL or IR on weekends
Or play with vintage tailwheels/gliders toys to fill up their spare weekend time !

Ibra wrote:

I think we are done with the days where airline pilots teach PPL or IR on weekends

I’m not sure. About half the FI’s in my club are airline pilots. (Or were, before Covid-19, several of them are now laid off.) The other half have non-airline jobs or are retired.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

I’m not sure. About half the FI’s in my club are airline pilots.

Yes I am sure that pool is still there but how that would continue with the industry shift to MPL guys?

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Sep 10:15

Ibra wrote:

Yes I am sure that pool is still there but how that would continue with the industry shift to MPL guys?

Ah. I missed that point. That’s a risk of course.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message