Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to find the Hexadecimal code for my aircraft?

Where can I find the hexadecimal code for my aircraft D-ELML?

LPSR, Portugal

Go fly and check FR24 after landing, or even during the flight

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

This information is usually found in the country registry. If not public, you should be able to request the information if you are the owner. In the US, this is easily found online in the FAA registry and it is printed on the registration document that is carried in the aircraft. It should also be entered into your transponder configuration data and most GA aircraft one can use a configuration mode to read out the value.

KUZA, United States

NCYankee wrote:

this is easily found online in the FAA registry

That is true of the Transponder; but how does one find the Hexadecimal Code for my ELT 10 made by Narco Electonics who have gone out of business?

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Since this topic got divided into ELT and Transponders:

1) For the ELT: Use an Aeroflex IFR 4000 Nav/Comm tester (mx facilities have them) to readout and programm the ELT.

2) For the Mode-S Transponder Hex Code: You should have a copy of some paperwork stating the mode-s / hex code (either from registration at LBA or from an avionic check).

Last Edited by Snoopy at 08 Sep 18:05
always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter_G wrote:

That is true of the Transponder; but how does one find the Hexadecimal Code for my ELT 10 made by Narco Electonics who have gone out of business?

Isn’t that question off-topic (this topic is about transponder hex codes)? ;-)

The 15-digit hex code of an ELT is determined by the manufacturer and is unrelated to the aircraft registration. In your case, the only way to determine it would be to turn it on and use a tester to decode the signal, as suggested by @Snoopy.

BTW, why is this of interest? If it has been (and/or is still) installed in an aircraft, then it should a) have a sticker with the beacon code on the ELT and in the aircraft and b) be registered with the associated national COSPAS-CARSAT agency and searchable via the aircraft registration. If it hasn’t been (re)registered for over 10 years then it won’t be in their database (should be reregistered every 2 years). If you want to reinstall it into another aircraft, then the aircraft registration needs to be changed in the ELT….. if Narco is out of business, not sure who would be able to do that or if it is worth the cost compared to just buying a new one.

There is some information about ELT beacons here

LSZK, Switzerland

Snoopy wrote:

Use an Aeroflex IFR 4000 Nav/Comm tester (mx facilities have them) to readout and programm the ELT.

You should have a copy of some paperwork stating the mode-s / hex code (either from registration at LBA or from an avionic check).

I assume you mean program the transponder, since hex codes in a mode-s context relate to them, not ELTs.

LSZK, Switzerland

NCYankee wrote:

it is printed on the registration document that is carried in the aircraft.

Perhaps this is also the case with D-reg aircraft @lmsl1967? If so, that would be the quickest way to answer the question. On an FAA reg certificate, the code is the octal version but that can easily be converted to hex.

LSZK, Switzerland

@chflyer
Edited. I hope my post is clear now.

always learning
LO__, Austria

UK aircraft codes are on the CAA register. You enter it when setting up the Mode S xpndr.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message