Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rise and decline of various types of GA around Europe

Airborne_Again wrote:

The max cruise speed for an Archer II is 129 KTAS (75% power at FL80). Can a normally aspirated Arrow really make 164 KTAS at cruise power?

The POH for our Arrow II says 75% power is not available at FL80.

Max altitude for 75% power = 6,600ft. At this altitude TAS = 144Kts

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 19 Sep 14:35
EIWT Weston, Ireland

@A_A yes the second sentence was a bit of a run on. I think the point is straight forward, most light GA will have VOR as a source of terrestrial navigation.

There are times where radar service is not available in controlled airspace and you are relying on a procedural service.

But am I correct on the basic premise that DME and ADF are not required on airways, although post Brexit arguably the UK AIP will kick back in with a DME requirement. A good example of Brexit increasing UK regulatory burden :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Twins are terribly underated.

Then why does nobody want them anymore and they are given away for less than 1/10th of a new moderate IFR SEP? There’s got to be a reason. The market isn’t stupid.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Ours is about 95-105 kt at recommended settings, and Arrow is around 135-145

EGTR
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ours is about 95-105 kt at recommended settings, and Arrow is around 135-145

That feels a bit extreme? An Archer should be good for 125KTAS and an Arrow 135KTAS

The Arrow has a bit more advantage down low but at FL50 and above the advantage starts to reduce.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I flew both Archer (share) & Arrow (rental), I would say 120tas vs 135tas, they fly the same profiles and on 300nm leg they are same in time and load, +/-15lbs?? and 15min??, I went for Mooney as Arrow did not make much difference to Archer but the Arrow purchase and rental prices are well inflated by demand as CPL trainers…

I wondred why there are not that many vintage Mooney or vintage Bonanza around to build hours ?

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Sep 16:48
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I think the problem is that many pilots want to build hours on a similar aircraft to the one they did their PPL on so Cessna 150 to 172 to 182 etc
Warrior to Archer to Arrow
SR20 to SR 22
Tb9 to 10 to 20
Is there a training Mooney or Bonanza even if they are the better aircraft for someone who travels.?

France

Mooney made M20J-AT with dual breaks for CPL training but it did not succeed, being bouncy on landings & hard to slowdown & low prop clearance, also it was not the ideal candidates to take on “training wing spare AD”

I don’t think Mooney & Beech had any “PPL/CPL/IR trainers” nor the upgrade path unlike Diamonds & Cirrus & Cessna & Piper which seems to be taken the whole market segments, only TB20 seems to have that sweet spot in complex/instrument training?

Also maybe something to do with training school setup where you will fly what instructors can fly unlike US PPL flying with freelance instructors?

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Sep 17:45
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

But am I correct on the basic premise that DME and ADF are not required on airways, although post Brexit arguably the UK AIP will kick back in with a DME requirement.

Yes and quite possibly.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message