Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rise and decline of various types of GA around Europe

arj1 wrote:

Ours is about 95-105 kt at recommended settings, and Arrow is around 135-145

Do you have wheel fairings on your Archer? That makes an 8 kt difference on an Archer II according to the POH.

95-105 kt is 55% power on an Archer II with wheel fairings. I don’t believe an Arrow will do 135 KTAS on 55%.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

although post Brexit arguably the UK AIP will kick back in with a DME requirement.

Why would it?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Beech had the 19 (and also the 77). You could afterwards upgrade to the 24. Then the Bo, Travel Air, Baron, Duke, King Air…

EDQH, Germany

RobertL18C wrote:

But am I correct on the basic premise that DME and ADF are not required on airways, although post Brexit arguably the UK AIP will kick back in with a DME requirement.

@RobertL18C @Peter AIP GEN 1.5 section 5.2.1. (g) explicitly asks that you have to carry a DME.

(g) All aircraft (except gliders and SLMGs) under IFR within Controlled Airspace below FL 245:
VOR receiver, DME and automatic DF1 (except aircraft with Special VFR clearance).
(1 – For EU-OPS aircraft an ADF system need not be installed provided that the use of the ADF is not required in any phase of the planned flight.)
So ADF is optional, but DME is mandatory in CAS. At least according to AIP.

EGTR

But is it correct that EASA Part.nco applies, and not the AIP?

The AIP will only come back into force post Brexit.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

But is it correct that EASA Part.nco applies, and not the AIP?

The AIP will only come back into force post Brexit.

I’ve aske CAA for a formal response.
In the mean time, ANO here CAP393 local copy says on page 183:
(1) All aircraft (other than gliders and SLMGs) within the United Kingdom
(a) flying under Instrument Flight Rules within controlled airspace A E2 F

Where F is:
Scale F
Radio communication and radio navigation equipment capable of enabling the aircraft to be navigated along the intended route including—
(a) automatic direction finding equipment;
(b) distance measuring equipment; and
(c) VHF omni-range equipment.

EGTR

There have been various threads on the legal standing of historical national practices and EASA.

Would need to be able to show a link to the threads but searching ‘EASA Law structure for dummies’ and related threads may help.

Obviously not a legal opinion but hopefully the referred thread is helpful in clarifying that in the absence of a EASA approved AMC for a national guideline (AIP is not law), EASA applies.

The quaint, anachronistic, requirement for an ADF in the context of airways and modern RNP standards might be a good example of inconsistencies.

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 19 Sep 21:17
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

As to why no wants twins I think there are various reasons.

It has been said fir two long they are less safe than singles. Say something enough and pilots believe it..

A MEP rating is an extra challenge, and some pilots dont get there.

The fuel burn is obviously more.

However, once you have flown a twin there is no looking back.

Unfortunately good ones are hard to find.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

However, once you have flown a twin there is no looking back.

I’m doing my multi rating late Oct / early Nov, will report back if that’s really the case! In a way I hope not, as it’ll make my flying even more expensive….

arj1 wrote:

So ADF is optional, but DME is mandatory in CAS. At least according to AIP.

The AIP is not law, it is information. Any requirements in the AIP must be backed up by law, e.g.the UK ANO. But individual EU member states can’t make legislation in areas that are already legislated by the EU. If they do, their legislation is void. For the UK this applies until the end of the Brexit transition period.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message