Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rise and decline of various types of GA around Europe

@RobertL18C what is the fuel burn in the Warrior for your 110KTAS at 2,500rpm and 2,000ft?

During my PPL training the Warriors gave 90 knots indicated at 2,300rpm, but they were probably climb props. Straight and level at 2,500rpm would not have been encouraged, but WLAC had their fuel bill to think of.

Last Edited by Graham at 21 Sep 21:15
EGLM & EGTN

To get back to the original topic, I am wondering what combinations of factors have led to the situation in Spain and Italy, which have not (at least not yet) happened to anywhere near the same extent elsewhere.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

To get back to the original topic, I am wondering what combinations of factors have led to the situation in Spain and Italy, which have not (at least not yet) happened to anywhere near the same extent elsewhere

I can only speak of Spain, having lived and flown there. In two words:
- affordability
- usability

It’s vastly cheaper to fly a Light Sport / UL / or whatever these airplanes are called in Europe, than a certified airplane. Both are big countries where the need to fly internationally isn’t really there, neither is ICAO English Level 4.

But there’s more: Spain has very few airports / airfields but an amazing number of small UL fields, as has Italy, as we know thanks to @Bosco. If I was still living in Spain I would prob90 also have gone the UL route by now. Plenty to do and see, MUCH less hassle and little airfields everywhere.

Add to that that at least some ULs are very capable indeed and there really isn’t a case for certified Avgas burners.

My impression of the UL scene in Italy 10 years or more ago was that it reminded me of the US in the 70s, that time period given newly manufactured aircraft, minus paved runways and larger planes. The pilots I met in several different settings, at parties of locals etc as well as at the airfield, had a wide range of ages and in general had no interest in a license beyond the Italian Aero Club credentials, viewing them as another world of complexity, bureaucracy and outrageous expense. English language usage was also seen as a barrier, although their English was typically at least as good or better than my Italian.

If I lived in Italy, within the constraints they had or have, I would do exactly the same because it was FUN. The social scene was also good at some locations, or so it appeared to me as a visitor. If there is a reduction in Italian UL activity now I would guess that it simply is no longer in style. There didn’t seem to be a lot of airport regulatory issues or fear of bureaucracy as long as they stayed within the UL rules.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Sep 02:20
64 Posts
Sign in to add your message