Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

An Introduction as a new member.

Dear All,

Having just signed up the welcome email suggested an introduction on here, so here it is.

I am a full time pilot from the UK but now find myself based out in Japan and rather removed from GA back home. I really love my job and the aircraft I fly but after a recent trip to Texas with work I was lucky enough to fly in a Vans RV-6. 30 minutes of the most fun flying I have ever had and rather put the work jet to shame for pure excitement and fun, I have to have one! I would be delighted to learn more from any Vans owners that may also enjoy using this site.

I am now looking at buying an RV-7 and will be basing it in the UK. There is so much choice in the USA on the N register I have been looking at how I could manage that in the UK but having read a number of posts this evening it doesn’t look very good.

Would greatly value talking with anyone that might have a solution to importing from the USA, operating in the UK, legally and unlimited. Or perhaps a success story of having one transferred onto the G reg with the LAA or indeed another state in Europe that is a bit more open to new ideas. I hear Norway is popular so wonder if it were possible to have a Norwegian registered Vans RV-7 based in the UK permanently.

Very much looking forward to reading any replies, advice or tips and exploring the forums.

Thank you for having me,

Kindest regards,

Glob

Tokyo, Japan

Welcome! Sure someone here is knowledgeable on RVs, I’m not ufn ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

Welcome to EuroGA, Glob

An N-reg RV (or any foreign reg homebuilt / Annex 1) is legally useless in the UK, France and some other places, due to the 28 day long term parking limit; see this and this. Same in much of Europe, with Germany being one place where a permit can be obtained for 180 days and then renewed, apparently…

Overflight (flying internally within Europe) needs various permits; you can find the matrix (which seems to vary) e.g. here.

Your best bet, if you want an RV in the UK, is to import it and put it on the G-reg. Some info here and this is perhaps a good thread. You need to do some homework on what the LAA will / will not accept, because once you import an N-reg and de-register it, it is in limbo and worth scrap until it gets on a new registry, so the accepting authority has you over a barrel. The maintenance company in whose hangar you are doing this has also got you over a barrel (a plane which can’t legally fly is the worst nightmare if the hangar owner doesn’t love you) and don’t ask how I know…

You can always sell a G-reg RV later.

Out of the UK, you can fly Annex 1 (RV etc) into France with no permit, for up to 28 days; other places vary as above.

An N-reg CofA (certified) aircraft is fine. You can import them, pay the import VAT as usual, keep them as N-reg, you then need FAA licenses and per this you may also need EASA licenses. You need to be sure of access to an FAA A&P to work on it and an A&P/IA to sign off the Annual; this can be easy, or not. Some info e.g. here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi and welcome Glob!

UK has the biggest RV community in Europe. A used one will appear on the market from time to time.
Don’t forget to look for somebody knowledgeable for a prebuy. Better to set up your « environment » (instructor, mechanic, hangarage) before you have a plane in your hands !

LFOU, France

Thank you very much for the welcoming replies.

What a shame the UK don’t allow a sensible approach to different registrations as other countries, notably Germany do.

Lots of great advice Peter and thank you Snoopy and Jujupilote. It would appear then that a UK registered aircraft ( really quite rare ) is worth waiting for or extensive pre buy discussions with the LAA prior to purchasing a European built and registered aircraft. I had been looking at an RV-7 that could be put on the PH Register in the Netherlands and I wonder if that might smooth the transition onto the LAA?

No rush to purchase but ready with cash if the right aircraft presents itself. Vans RV-7, 180HP+ CS and a reasonable panel, must have been loved.

Thank you once again and great website, wish I had found you all years ago.

Kindest regards,

Glob

Tokyo, Japan

In case you need a plan B: In some countries you can find building communities of two builders, one of them usually has the money, the other one usually has the skills. Maybe you can find something like that in the UK, too. Delivery times are around one year (kit, engine, prop) and if everything goes well, she will fly half a year later. The biggest advantage is you can build in what you like and “watch” the building process (no pre-buy necessary). In my eyes a secure and fast way to become owner of the well-known RV grin.

one of them usually has the money, the other one usually has the skills

I think that’s true for most marriages

Administrator

Glob wrote:

I had been looking at an RV-7 that could be put on the PH Register in the Netherlands and I wonder if that might smooth the transition onto the LAA?

Unfortunately, with the updated Dutch regulations for amateur-built airplanes since beginning of this month, no import of foreign-built amateur-built airplanes is possible anymore. I don’t know if other EU countries still allow that route, it seems to me that the very favourable former Dutch rules were exceptional.

Maybe you can find a Dutch registered one that’s for sale? You can keep her on the PH register as long as you can nominate a responsible recipient/point of contact with Dutch residence; judging from what I read about the gold-plating the LAA does and the still comparatively easy Dutch rules, I would not move it from the PH register if not needed.

Karl_Acht wrote:

Delivery times are around one year (kit, engine, prop) and if everything goes well, she will fly half a year later.

I was lucky to buy into a group that has spent with four builders – two of them doing most of the metal work – three years from start to finish (RV-7 from a quickbuild kit). I would wager that half a year might be achievable if you are not building a plane for the first time, and can actually spend most of your working day in the hangar :)

But I agree, building any of the later RV kits (-7, -8) is probably the most achievable way to arrive within finite time at a flying airplane. Also, the LAA has nominally still the N-VFR and IFR projects for homebuilts
TL_2_27_Night_IFR_procedure_pdf
TL_2_28_Night_IFR_assessment_pdf
running, which might actually be an interesting thing if you’re based in the UK.

EHRD / Rotterdam

Glob wrote:

No rush to purchase but ready with cash if the right aircraft presents itself. Vans RV-7, 180HP+ CS and a reasonable panel, must have been loved.

Forgot to add: If you’re ever near Rotterdam, let me know and we can take our RV-7 out. She would fulfill your requirements, and a share would even be for sale, but being based in Rotterdam is non-negotiable ;)

EHRD / Rotterdam

You can’t keep a PH-reg Annex 1 (or any non G reg Annex 1) in UK or France for more than 28 days; see links posted further back.

Administrator
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message