Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EU 2020 (corruption)

This kind of corruption is the reason nothing will ever change around the eastern Mediterranean. And the reason is costs as much as it does flying to and in Greece, although this is not Greece but the mentality is exactly the same.

Last Edited by Dimme at 13 Oct 22:57
ESME, ESMS

This (well known) story doesn’t make a good scandal.

It is quite normal, that there is a rout to residency in a country if you invest a certain amount of money. It’s called investor Visa in the UK or EB-5 in the US.

It is also quite normal, that based on the actual amount of money you invest, the time to get residency status can be reduced (e.g. in the UK it takes 5 years if you only invest GBP2mn while with a 10mn investment it only takes 10 years).

Germany

Yes, but this is not the issue here. The issue is how officials will go out of their way to break the law to facilitate new passports/new names for people that should not have them legally, for bribes of course.

ESME, ESMS

I guess very few people follow corruption scandals in Croatia (even we locals have problems to follow due to sheer number) but the latest one is really interesting: CEO of Croatian pipeline has been taking bribe for years to award public tenders to selected companies; the deals have been agreed at illegal club he used to run; the club was frequently visited by several ministers and by president himself during lockdown; nobody of them noticed that payment for the meals and drinks in the club were done in cash and that nobody got the receipt; nobody noticed money counter (used to count bribe money brought in suitcases) hidden behind the bar. Instead of dismissing ministers, prime minister only praises good police work. Instead of at least apologizing to the public, president attacks journalists who found out details.

Last Edited by Emir at 14 Oct 08:37
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

BTW many criminals (including was criminals) illegally obtained Croatian passports in period from 1995 to 2000.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

At 47:03, I quote:

“I know all the presidents of the parliaments. I’m not talking about Sweden or Denmark. But I know Malta. I know Latvia. I know Slovenia.”
- President of the House of Representatives of Cyprus

I guess there is more going around than meets the eye.

ESME, ESMS

It’s funny; I have been hammered on social media for suggesting that Europe becomes more corrupt less transparent the further south you go, but if somebody else posts what everybody who has actually gone outside their back yard has always known, that’s ok

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message