Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK Approach to Recreational General Aviation Safety: An Independent Review

We have had many “safety” and “risk” related threads, and searches for these two words dig out a lot of really great stuff.

This one is a new report.

On a quick read, it is basically saying that nothing needs to be done because the root causes of accidents are not addressable by regulation. I agree with that

It suggests that pilots should seek periodic training

There are some interesting bits in the report, peripheral to the topic but still very interesting…

729 N-regs in the UK, among 19810 total GA aircraft

They categorically state that N-regs are no less safe, or worse maintained

This is probably wrong – although to be expected from a CAA study

I reckon the fall in accidents is due to

• fall in GA activity (measured in airborne hours, not departures as much of the stats in the report uses)
  • owner-pilots getting more clued-up technically (due to the internet, entirely; training has never played any role in this)
  • better fuel management (totalisers) among all the half-decent planes in last 10-15 years
  • probably a narrower mission profile being flown by much of GA, due to airport costs and other hassles, and there is more UL activity
  • a general modernisation of the GA fleet, which say 20 years ago was nearly all “wreckage”
  • GPS satnav removing fuel exhaustion due to getting lost, and enabling flight in “accidental IMC / bad wx” to be concluded without crashing

There is interesting data on overall activity in hours flown – that came up in the GA decline thread

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Do they say anything about EASA Vs Annex I ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

You can search the PDF for “Annex 1”. Some text is in there.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

They categorically state that N-regs are no less safe, or worse maintained

Well at last an official report that attempts to dispel the maintenance-safety shy N reg lot. Still a number of UK ham heads wandering around that believe that the N Reg lot are still maintenance dodgers but they are a dying breed.

I was slightly surprised at how few N reg there are in the UK. 729 is not a large community. Interesting.

Peter wrote:

This is probably wrong – although to be expected from a CAA study

Agree

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Pilots should self-train, like athletes. Yes it is not reachable by regulation.

To be really safe within the PPL privileges, one should do its own work-out every week or so.
Something like :

• working on some theory
  • a solo practice flight with some slow flight, steep turns, landings, engine-out descends etc…

But this would mean 40 just-for-practice hours per year

Basically, a pilot rusts as fast as an engine. So owning a plane makes a lot of sense !

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 26 Oct 13:52
LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

To be really safe within the PPL privileges, one should do its own work-out every week or so.
Something like :

working on some theory
a solo practice flight with some slow flight, steep turns, landings, engine-out descends etc…

I have a friend with I have no idea how many hours (25,000 hours?) as a military, airline and private pilot and he says exactly the same thing… and does it weekly in his RV, as well as his other flying

I cannot say I am so rigorous in my flying, but I try to do a bit of the above on every flight.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Oct 14:14

Silvaire wrote:

I have a friend with I have no idea how many hours (25,000 hours?) as a military, airline and private pilot and he says exactly the same thing… and does it weekly in his RV

Silvaire, you know Europeans are jealous by nature, so please stop here

My wife says “well, if you were in any sport club, you would spend an evening there every week. So you can spend it flying if you wish”

LFOU, France

729 is not a large community

I think that out of ~20k planes in the UK, an awful lot aren’t flying. Just look at how many ~10hr/year pilots there are; the annual average often quoted in briefings is 20-30hrs, and if you have a bunch of 100-300hr pilots then you need an awful lot of very low hour pilots to drag the average down that far.

I reckon the UK has at most 5k pilots who fly a reasonable amount. The other 15k do just enough to feature in the “valid medicals” count which is all the data the CAA has for the number of pilots (~20k). The GA decline thread has a lot more stuff on this.

Nearly all light GA N-regs went N-reg for the FAA IR (including, I am sure, Grant Shapps) and not for STC/maintenance/mod certification reasons so these 729 will be largely high-hour flyers.

So 729 is quite a lot, relatively speaking.

There are lots of places in Europe where you land in your N-reg and where your plane is the only one parked which looks airworthy

What is interesting is that the FAA “knows” about the 729. Years ago they didn’t; they had only the trustee details. They started a new process a few years ago whereby the identity of the beneficial owner (“trustor” in US-speak) must be disclosed to the FAA.

Administrator

Jujupilote wrote:

Silvaire, you know Europeans are jealous by nature, so please stop here

You can console yourself by knowing that my friend has heart issues, and is going through a struggle to regain his medical. I’m flying with him on his proficiency flights and learning from his experience. He is so good and it kills me to think of him not flying.

I should probably learn to land his plane from the back seat given that I’m PIC!

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Oct 15:52

Jujupilote wrote:

Could not agree more – unfortunately that is more than a larger share of GA pilots fly at all…

Germany
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message