Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Water spray cooling an aircraft radiator?

T28 wrote:

What in your youtube-educated guess makes said particles move “very quickly” and where does it come from?

I only got I PhD in mechanical engineering. What do I know about basic ABC thermodynamics shit? Seriously, I have since long forgotten most of it, but it doesn’t take much to bring it back Anyway, heard about the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution of molecular velocities?

Absolute zero K does not exist anywhere in the universe AFAIK. But if there were, there would be no evaporation, except some weird quantum effects perhaps.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@Ultranomad: there are 3 radiators being discussed. Oil and Coolant will be at 100C ir more – which is 10 or more C above ambient at FL100 – thank you @Airborne_Again.
@Antonio: thanks for the advice about FF. Actually, what you say may well be already in use!
I was present when “they” adjusted fuel flow. I insisted on a setting that is substantially higher than the upper limit per AMM.

The result is additional margin to enrich the mixture beyond the upper limit. Boost pump is always on in the climb.
This said, I typically lean in the climb ( to about 125 liters) for fear of losing power due to overrich mixture.
I did not notice a change in temps but will look more closely and report back.
@tmo – thank you I did. Interesting Mogas STC for normally aspirated engines, but unfortunately beyond my scope… I am looking for a solution that can be field approved.

Last Edited by Flyingfish at 03 Nov 21:18
LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

It’s not clear to me why you think it is OK to spray water around the engine and it’s radiators, without knowing exactly what you are doing, and at the same time you see the true and trusted method of injecting water/methanol into the manifold is somewhat more “experimental” and “complicated”. Just saying

Maybe it will do the job just fine though, only one way to find out

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message