Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pilots' brains are wired differently

Here’s the proof of what we knew all along

Referenced article

Chinese researchers have determined that the brains of pilots are wired differently to deal with the unique environment of the cockpit. The researchers determined that pilots’ brains have greater connections between the “central executive network,” which is the part of the brain that makes sense of various bits of information, and the parts of the brain supplying the raw data. That’s the good thing. It “might enable the network to have more diverse functions,” which helps put all the various inputs from instruments, the radio, the sight picture and others in the cockpit into coherence.
“Pilots are always working in complex, dynamic environments. Flying is now not so much a ‘physical job,’ but a high-level cognitive activity,” the study said. “The pilot should be completely aware of all conditions in real time, and be ready to deal with various potential emergencies.” The tradeoff might have something to do with what your partner whispers in your ear at parties although he or she probably expresses it more colorfully than the scientific explanation. While the central executive network is synthesizing all that diverse data, there seems to be a decreased level of “internal connectivity.” That, said the researchers, is “associated with self-control and appraisal of threatening stimuli.” The study involved 14 flight instructors at the Civil Aviation Flight University of China and 12 first officers from Chinese airlines whose brains were watched in action on imaging equipment.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Really impressing database: 26 pilots! This seems to be very, very representative.
EDDS , Germany

I’m curious to know when and how the rewiring takes place. On your PPL checkride? On your ATP checkride? After 500 hours as SIC? Inquiring minds want to know.

LFMD, France

In your early years? (0-8 age) If that wiring doesn’t happen, you don’t succeed at tasks requiring it.
Later you develop reflexes, but the older you get, the less that happens.
I remember a study of accidents that found no correlation with age of pilot, but a significant correlation with age at which they learned to fly.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

and 12 first officers from Chinese airlines

Those study people knew what they were doing. They couldn’t measure the left seaters because they were invisible in a plume of thick smoke

Last Edited by Snoopy at 17 Nov 00:45
always learning
LO__, Austria

“I remember a study of accidents that found no correlation with age of pilot, but a significant correlation with age at which they learned to fly”

Assuming fatal accidents, isn’t this linked to accidents happening mostly after some number of hours or years (e.g. “killing zone” or whatever?) and selection bias !

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Nov 00:48
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

How do you measure brain wires ? mm2 or AWG ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

“Assuming fatal accidents, isn’t this linked to accidents happening mostly after some number of hours or years (e.g. “killing zone” or whatever?) and selection bias !”

Not after a number of hours or years, but related to the age at which you learned to fly. Not your age, not your hours. It was, I think, a study of many factors, linked from the AAIB site many years ago.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

That makes pilots as special as London cab drivers. They have also been researched and because they need to learn where so many streets are, their brains are wired differently too.

LSZH, Switzerland

I reckon it is self selection by personality, like you get for every profession, hobby, etc.

But, technology will modify this over time. I’ve been told the London taxi drivers no longer need to memorise the whole city map. They use satnav Similarly, with satnav you could fly a plane without much situational awareness.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message