Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do any airline pilots refuse to fly, if wx is not below operating minima?

I cannot remember many trips in 35 years commercial operations which were scrubbed after crew report.I remember having trip scrubbed before leaving home because of hurricanes in the Caribbean and US coastal areas.Ops generally keep abreast of major situations and plan strategically.In my two years on the Vickers Viscount in the eighties I can remember lots of completely lost days and even weekends through fog in the Channel Islands.That operation was intensive utilising up to eighteen airframes and delay recovery was a nightmare such that after one very bad period we gave up trying to get people to their booked destinations and operated a shuttle to Southampton with onward train tickets.Generally though if destination weather is marginal load extra fuel and have a plan B.The modern low cost carriers are much happier to cancel and refund rotations their business model does not like uncertainty and disruption to the the overall flying programme.Charter flights for package holidays are much more likely to operate and consider alternates or delays to achieve customer satisfaction cancellation is not really an option.
Vbr Stampe

United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Let me add a different Q: is a flight ever cancelled before departure because the return flight would be likely impossible?

This would not be a pilot decision based on risk but a company decision based on economics. Generally it is no legal reason to deny transportation to booked passengers but I’m very sure it happens.
I once got a flight to Paris canceled due to such a reason as a strike was announced and it was quite probable that the return flight could not depart. I was quite mad at the carrier but finally we agreed on a compensation that was ok – not sure how much that was depending on the color of my frequent flyer card, though…

Germany

Agree with above. Cancellations based on return possibility can happen but are rare (in my sort of flying anyway). It would be an ops decision as it would be up to them whether it was better to for example delay downroute or move passengers to a different location first… too many possibilities to say what exactly the outcome would be.

With regards to TAF interpretation, see table:

United Kingdom

Great info.

I especially like this:

So true! Especially with fog.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

All I know about this is here :

and here :

LFOU, France

That is one of the best video producers on YouTube. Really funny but often with a serious message.
About the only one Ive ever clicked “follow” or recommend others to similar.

Excellent!!

(Edit for grammar & auto correct)

Last Edited by skydriller at 24 Nov 20:29
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message