Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

28V->230V inverter

I am looking for a good inverter to power 230V devices in-air. Sometimes it's hard to find a suitable 28V adapter for certain devices. What is the typical power loss of such an inverter? Anyone knows about a good device with proper protection that can be operated from a 28V cigarette ligher plug?

I don't know but the Meridian has two 110v plugs which are fine for powering chargers and devices (ADL120 today for example).

EGTK Oxford

Still haven't found that 110V plug in my Cessna. Should be looking harder I think...

I meant that the inverter used clearly is up to normal use. I wouldn't try to boil a kettle but inverters work well for low current draws.

EGTK Oxford

With something like this this, you can even easily boil a kettle (but the 120A wires to the battery will surely look funny, and I'd invest in an alternator upgrade)

But seriously, how about this, or this (available here)

LSZK, Switzerland

I have a Mobitronic 720-024PP which I have used for various things like this.

It wasn't cheap but is solid and works great.

One thing however -

All these accessories are going to possibly interfere with VHF. It may be a while before you come across a frequency which gets screwed up, but it will happen. I have a multi output power unit which I made, for powering various bits like the tablet(s), the satphone, etc. and even though I put it into an all-metal box and put a really really over the top filter on the input, it still interferes. It seems to be radiation coupled (radiation from the output leads) rather than conducted via the input lead. So if I get interference I just turn it off (the appliance has a battery anyway) but I don't see a solution without putting in a lot of time.

Yet I know the aircraft wiring (with which I am intimately familiar) is done to a very high standard.

A fancy "aviation" TSOd power unit is not likely to be any better. Any switch mode power supply will radiate like hell and some work should be expected to sort it out.

To give yourself tyhe best chance, I would use a shielded cable for all input and output leads.

I never got any issues with navigation however.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well mine has never caused any problems with VHF.

EGTK Oxford

Thanks for the tips, I have ordered this one (data sheet). 350W at 28V is 12.5A so I will hook it up directly to the master bus with an inline fuse.

I have a GPU with a digital load display and done numerous tests to determine my electric load depending on which devices are active. Going all electric has reduced my electric load to very low levels, around 8-10A when everything is turned on (which I normally never do), including pitot heat. This means my alternator has plenty of capacity left to drive the inverter.

Unfortunately 350W is not enough for my coffee maker but maybe for my beer chiller?

I will hook it up directly to the master bus with an inline fuse.

I'd use a proper circuit breaker - example.

Make it accessible so you can pull it in flight. Something might go wrong, or you may get interference on VHF or elsewhere, which may not surface for ages. I can guarantee this thing will radiate like hell.

Re the loading, remember that if you have a decent quality battery (e.g. Concorde) then from the 4V (28V-24V) voltage gradient it will charge with a lot of current; possibly 30-40A initially, then of course reducing to very little. During this time, you don't have as much spare power available.

Same with other systems e.g. electric gear pump, flaps, etc.

350W should be fine to boil water. You just have to boil it slower, or boil less of it

I have just bought a hot air gun (for heatshrink sleeving). The normal ones are really for stripping paint and draw about 1000W. They also melt everything in the vicinity... This one, 4x the price (about €200), draws 250W. It just has a much smaller nozzle, the blower runs much slower, and it does the job great.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Unfortunately 350W is not enough for my coffee maker but maybe for my beer chiller?

I can't think of a better use for all that extra power.

EGTK Oxford
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message