Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brussels blocking UK from using EGNOS for LPV - and selection of alternates, and LPV versus +V

Ibra wrote:

but how many “0A aircrafts” are LPV equipped?

Mine is.

I suspect it’s a fairly low number of similar machines.

NCYankee wrote:

In order for LP or LPV minimums to be available in the database, a FAS (Final Approach Segment) block is required.

The FAS data block is necessary for the LPV glide path to appear, but there are no minimums in the database. You don’t need the FAS data block for an LNAV/VNAV or +V glide path.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I would like to know what State action would result in Jepp disabling +V.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Some news:

From here local copy

and the URL in there is this

and there you see

So… the 1st Jan date has slipped to 25th June, and clearly negotiations are taking place while the UK is reserving the right to walk away (which is absolutely correct negotiating position).

So I reckon nothing will happen in the end.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
but how many “0A aircrafts” are LPV equipped?
Mine is.

I suspect it’s a fairly low number of similar machines.

If we include all of the ancient G-reg Cubs, Taylocraft etc. and the microlights which are equally capable of slow flight, then yes, it’s surely a small percentage. But most of these are “day VFR only” machines which don’t fly much or far. Much of this vintage LAA aerojumble isn’t even equipped with an autopilot, let alone a GPS navigator.

Conversely, of the handful of Maules, Huskies, etc. which I know reasonably well and which are used for travel in IMC, all are equipped with at least a GNS 430W and, perhaps coincidentally, all are N-reg.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

There are plenty of G-Reg aircraft with Garmin GNS-W or GTN and probably Avidyne IFDs as well that are LPV-capable.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Airborne_Again wrote:

The FAS data block is necessary for the LPV glide path to appear, but there are no minimums in the database. You don’t need the FAS data block for an LNAV/VNAV or +V glide path.

Correct, just for SBAS based minimums which is LPV and LP.

KUZA, United States

wigglyamp wrote:

There are plenty of G-Reg aircraft with Garmin GNS-W or GTN and probably Avidyne IFDs as well that are LPV-capable.

We were talking about those that included Ibra’s “0A” category. Sub 40KCAS stall and couple of hundred m landing distances.

I highly doubt Jepp will create 2 sets of data, 1 for UK users, one for EU users. In theory (and if the EGNOS on UK sovereign soil are indeed EU owned and operated) LPV could be available in UK airspace to all but G-Reg aircraft. You could get around that by having an EU entity purchase the DB. Frankly, I think by June this will be a non – issue and a compromise will be found.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

I highly doubt Jepp will create 2 sets of data, 1 for UK users, one for EU users. (…) LPV could be available in UK airspace to all but G-Reg aircraft.

It doesn’t seem linked to the aircraft but to the airport :)

ELLX
Sign in to add your message