Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Part 21 light

Hi!

Not sure if many people have seen this, but more info is available re: EASA Part-21 Light:
https://www.easa.europa.eu/domains/general-aviation/general-aviation-road-map/part-21-light-making-design-manufacturing-easier
As I understand it:
- Introduction of declared design org.
- Under 1200kg, up to 2 seats – declared compliance, Restricted CofA (which, if you want it, could mean IFR across EASA world).
- Under 2000kg, up to 4 seats – certified compliance, CofA, simplified process.
- If none of the above – Part-21 non-light.

And as far as I understood, it should done in Q4 2022: https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/ToR%20RMT.0727%20Issue%201.pdf local copy

EGTR

From the EASA web page

Therefore, EASA has started to review the current ‘Part 21’ in view of the airworthiness of GA aircraft, and in particular those intended primarily for sports and recreational use.

Although I understand fully what sport and recreational use is, as this is as good as 100% of the flying I do, I simply do not get how you design vise can differentiate between “sport and recreational use” and “private use” in legal terms. It’s like saying a Porsche is something different in legal terms than a VW (even though they are both used exactly the same, by the same person).

It is not clear to me at all how the intended use as “sport and recreation” differs from intended “private” use. This is micromanagement on a level that does not even make theoretical sense, at least not to me. On a practical level, who cares if I use my car exclusively to get to work or use my car exclusively to cruise around, or a bit of both?

To me this looks like more stuff we don’t need.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@LeSving I think you are over thinking this.

France

@LeSving, I think all it means is “non-CAT”

EGTR

Can anyone list the main advantages this would bring, and what specific issues it seeks to solve? I have read the PDF but don’t really understand the whole context.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Can anyone list the main advantages this would bring, and what specific issues it seeks to solve? I have read the PDF but don’t really understand the whole context.

1. Declared Design Org. Not even AP DOA. Group of people that don’t have to have that much of confirmed expertise compared to Design Org Approval company, because the DDO does NOT approve anything. Not the PtF, not the TC, nothing. All is done by EASA. And EASA/NAA oversight is not Org-focused, it’s product-focused.
2. Declared Conformance for 2-seater – NOT fully certified. Can fly on Restricted CofA in EASA world. Restricted mean non-ICAO, but no real flight limitations.
3. Light Certified – ICAO, CofA, but simplifed.

EGTR

Declared Conformance for 2-seater – NOT fully certified. Can fly on Restricted CofA in EASA world. Restricted mean non-ICAO, but no real flight limitations.

Would this facilitate say an RV or Lancair to fly all over EASA-land, VFR and possibly IFR, and be based anywhere there, overriding local-country restrictions?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Would this facilitate say an RV or Lancair to fly all over EASA-land, VFR and possibly IFR, and be based anywhere there, overriding local-country restrictions?

Not sure if it’s possible for an RV or Lancair (materials, structural integrity, etc), but for a similar aicraft yes, it would facilitate.

EGTR
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message