Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Move somewhere warm, and GA friendly. Is a Greek dream even possible?

Silvaire wrote:

I’m not sure whether you’d think that warm or cold but I’m guessing maybe from the Scandinavian perspective it may not be so cold?

From a Scandinavian perspective, it is warm for January, but that’s not what I meant. You’re quite right that it’s much colder than what one (or at least I) would expect from a mediterranean town. I looked up the numbers to get a feeling for how cold it would actually be.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The Canary Islands do enjoy warm weather even in the winter. We have been there several times as we have family living there during the cold months in central Europe. However, it’s quite a distance between them and mainland Spain. It’s not a problem with an aircraft with decent range, but it remains a bit of an endeavor in a SEP. More importantly it will be hard to find an appropriate airfield. There are only AENA airports (cat 1 in aart’s terminology) on the four western islands which are the more scenic ones in my opinion. The bigger airports are not cheap, there is no hangarage and handling and slots are required. There is one other cat 2 field on Gran Canaria (in the eastern Canaries) but I’ve never been there.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

I know this is not exactly on topic, but one more hop from Canaries is Cabo Verde with far better weather in January. Consistent 24 day, 21 night with nice winds for water sports and not too humid. I’m writing this from GVAC. Made it from EPPO with one fuel stop in LEJR :>

Last Edited by loco at 07 Jan 12:23
LPFR, Poland

You didn’t do that in a SEP, I imagine. Bravo!

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

No, but I did this route once in a SET. It took two stops then. One day trip.

LPFR, Poland

loco wrote:

No, but I did this route once in a SET. It took two stops then. One day trip.

I think that leg will always need few stops, 0 direct flights on A320 from Poland to Canaries in SkyScanner

terbang wrote:

The Canary Islands do enjoy warm weather even in the winter. We have been there several times as we have family living there during the cold months in central Europe. However, it’s quite a distance between them and mainland Spain. It’s not a problem with an aircraft with decent range, but it remains a bit of an endeavor in a SEP

IMO the nicest place I found to spend winter (about 40 flights per week from London at 100£), pitty it would take me 3 solid days in SEP to get there in the other hand, 4.5h seems close to A320/B737 max ranges?

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Jan 17:04
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

This mission profile calls for a better plane

1 fuel stop in the middle of Spain.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

OK, so while we’re getting into more exotic and far flung locations, you could, not too far from the Canaries, also look at Madeira! Stunningly beautiful, mild climate year-round and an international airport that can be, ahem, a bit challenging, so you won’t get bored

More seriously: I think for your requirements everything points to southern Spain or Portugal. Given the current tax incentives, more the latter than the former. Of course both are EU member states and while you seem to be ‘Straighan the immigration situation has changed for Brits as of 1/1/2021, as you’re of course aware. I don’t know how that impacts the Portuguese tax incentive scheme, though.

terbang wrote:

There is one other cat 2 field on Gran Canaria (in the eastern Canaries) but I’ve never been there.

There is Berriel GCLB right next to Maspalomas/Playa des Ingles, which is a GA field.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

172driver wrote:

I don’t know how that impacts the Portuguese tax incentive scheme, though.

Just on a side note the tax aspect really depends on what you intend to do. German despite its reputation for example is quite a nice place if you have a fortune and just manage it. If you try to earn the fortune Germany is not so good so it really depends. But in general when looking for warm weather in winter I would keep a low profile and just “visit” to avoid tax issues etc. After all you do this to feel good and not to grow gray hair…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message