Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another 737 down

No, not a Max, but a 737-500.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4e18553c&opt=0

Not surprising though, I went on a Sriwijaya Air 737, the same as the one that’s just crashed (possibly even the same airframe) in 2018, and during the pre flight passenger briefing the flight attendant said “let us please pray for our safe flight”, then said some kind of prayer. Not confidence inspiring.

United Kingdom

Don’t know yet what happen but the fr24 trace shows a dive at low speed. Possible dual engine failure of hi jack…

LFMD, France

They lost altitude within 20 seconds from 10600 ft… absolutely brutal descent rate up to 20k ft ROD.

No, it is not a Max, but one should remember that a similar -500 series did a high velocity impact at Kazan a few years back, prompting the Russians to question the airworthiness of the whole series. This new accident now will hopefully bring to light their reasoning at the time, because it can well be relevant for the whole series.

Personally, I won’t fly on 737’s anymore, regardless of which operator or subseries.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I think that’s an over-reaction. Look at home many 737s are flying. Apart from the recent cockup, their safety record is every bit as good as Airbus.

3rd world airlines are always crashing planes.

prompting the Russians to question the airworthiness of the whole series

That’s a laugh, looking at their attitude to safety in general

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Personally, I won’t fly on 737’s anymore, regardless of which operator or subseries.

Well, then you won’t fly on CAT anymore, don’t think that’ll be a big loss for the airlines.

The issue here is – once again – the operator. I would not want to fly on any of these Third World loco airlines that have sprung up in recent years.

IO390 wrote:

during the pre flight passenger briefing the flight attendant said “let us please pray for our safe flight”, then said some kind of prayer, Not confidence inspiring

This is actually part of a standard flight brief in most Muslim countries, of which Indonesia is one. You will hear the same thing on many airlines in Middle Eastern Countries, but usually just said in Arabic, not English. Ive heard it said in English on some internal flights in Saudi which, I agree, can be disconcerting the first time you hear it…!!

Regards, SD..

skydriller wrote:

You will hear the same thing on many airlines in Middle Eastern Countries, but usually just said in Arabic,

Not only there. As part of my work I had to fly several times on Mission Aviation planes in Africa. They stop at the runup area and everyone prays…. didn’t make me feel very comfortable.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

As a pro-European I do of course favour Airbus over Boeing, but certainly the B737 is one of the most successful aircraft in the history of flight and due to its sheer ubiquity is statistically highly likely to be involved in accidents from time to time.

It’s like saying “I won’t fly C172 anymore because so many of them crashed before”, thereby ignoring the fact that it is the most numerous aircraft in history and thus bound to crash occasionally…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

The 737 is the best selling airliner of all time. There’s only one first place

Boeing’s Fact Sheet says that (in normal times) an average of 2000 737s are in the air at any given time. Two thousand. I find numbers like that that remarkable for any type for which they apply.

I’m glad I’m not too scared to get out of bed in the morning.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Jan 17:16

I’m not religious in any way. Everyone should believe in whatever they want but Personally it’s all nonsence. With that in mind, I couldn’t care less who prayed for what,bedore take-off, if the whole cabin did it I’d probably giggle.
Either the crew can fly or they can’t, the airframe is in airworthy condition and will remain so or it won’t. If praying helps, then let them get on with it and maybe I’ll benefit, but probably not.

Obviously this is a tragedy for those involved and I’m sorry for them. Let’s hope they recover the FDR and CVR so and investigation is as conclusive as possible.

United Kingdom
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message