Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another 737 down

Aren’t airline pilots also allowed to be considered current on only one type at a time? So if you have all 737s, then you introduce a 757 into your fleet, you have to cut your single pilot pool into two pilot pools?

ELLX

lionel wrote:

Aren’t airline pilots also allowed to be considered current on only one type at a time? So if you have all 737s, then you introduce a 757 into your fleet, you have to cut your single pilot pool into two pilot pools?

I believe one can hold a maximum of two type ratings on an ATPL.

EGLM & EGTN

On an FAA ATPL I don’t believe you are limited to two, which presumably leads to wi**y waving by the more adolescent EQ pilots (male) comparing their ratings.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Where is it the rule then, the UK and/or Europe? I have definitely heard it thrown about a lot, with the implication that it was part of the reason (apart from TR costs) airlines and Boeing were so keen to ensure the Max was on the same TR as other 737s – i.e. more flexibility matching pilots to fleet.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

Where is it the rule then, the UK and/or Europe? I have definitely heard it thrown about a lot, with the implication that it was part of the reason (apart from TR costs) airlines and Boeing were so keen to ensure the Max was on the same TR as other 737s – i.e. more flexibility matching pilots to fleet.

It’s at least not easily found in part-FCL. (I looked.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

From a Licensing point of view, you can have as many ratings as you can keep current.

The rules what you can fly commercially are set out in Part-ORO, which specifies the organisational requirements, and in ORO.FC specifies the requirements for *F*light *C*rew. This is for where, for example, annual line checks and 6-monthly operator proficiency checks are regulated, which have to be current to fly in commercial air transport, but not in private ops.

In there, you have ORO.FC.140 “Operation more than one type or variant” which applies to non-commercial ops of ‘complex’ aircraft (EASA-Complex, e.g., >5.7t, >19 seats, jets) and ORO.FC.240 which additionally applies to commercial air transport.

In summary, ORO.FC.240 requires that the operations manual specifies how many types a pilot can fly commercially, and AMC1 then has several pages of detail which for jets boil down to a maximum of two types.

Biggin Hill
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message