Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Small Airplane or Beer

I got this with English subtitles, but I don’t think I can post that version directly. Maybe the German version will be understandable enough to all that it’ll provide some amusement…

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 Jan 19:52

Where is her small airplane? :D

ESME, ESMS

She basically explains to him that over twenty years he’s spent enough on beer to buy a small airplane. He asks her if she drinks beer, she replies no, and he asks her “where is your small airplane” This was sent to me by a non-flyer to use as proof that my drinking is sufficiently moderate.

He says he drinks 3 beers a day, at 4€ each [expensive for German beer…probably not bottles but glasses at a bar…], from which she calculates he spends 360€/month, or 4320€/year on beer. Since he’s been drinking that much for 20 years, hence he spent 86400€ on beer, with which he could easily have bought “a small airplane”.

The punchline was explained by Silvaire above (“where’s your airplane?” [since you don’t drink])

Note that, from a medical point of view, drinking three beers a day is – without question – alcoholism.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

Note that, from a medical point of view, drinking three beers a day is – without question – alcoholism.

That’s why it’s better to have One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer – not necessarily in that order ;-)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

MedEwok wrote:

He says he drinks 3 beers a day, at 4€ each

That’s really cheap by Norwegian’s standard

ENVA, Norway

MedEwok wrote:

I always understood that the term alcoholism referred to a dependency rather than the quantity consumed.

In a physiological context it depends greatly on how much alcohol is referred to by the vague term ‘a beer’. Assuming it is not particularly strong and not particularly large, I don’t consider three a day to be that much, although it would constitute rather a monotonous programme of consumption.

My own enthusiasm being for real ale, good wine and single malt whisky, I would tend to mix it up a bit more and would rarely drink what the Americans or Europeans might refer to as ‘a beer’ – which to me has connotations of some over-chilled and fizzy yellow liquid without much flavour. The quantity, while probably more than I consume on average, is recognisable and seems a fair way from what is typically seen in alcoholism.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

I always understood that the term alcoholism referred to a dependency rather than the quantity consumed.

I have never met a person that really drank a liter of beer every single day and did not show some form of “dependency”. I know, these are typically the “I could stop any day I want but I just don’t want to” type of a alcoholics …

WingsWaterAndWheels wrote:

That’s really cheap by Norwegian’s standard

Yeah, the old joke: If we want to do something with a real touch of decadence, we travel to Oslo and get drunk with beer ;-)

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 14 Jan 11:12
Germany
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message