Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Process of purchasing an aircraft located in another EU country

ivark wrote:

The only issue I see with flying the AC home while still registered to the previous owners name is with insurance- the beneficiary is the previous owner, but unless the insurance is for a named pilot only you are legal to fly.

Once you’ve purchased the plane, the previous owner has signed to release interest, and you’ve applied for the transfer with the existing country of registration, surely it is yours and you can insure it?

The idea of having two companies maintaining (my spell checker wanted ‘maiming’ which is appropriate) my plane, one telling the other what to do and both billing me for whatever they decide is so abhorrent to me I won’t even comment.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 31 Jan 15:14

Silvaire wrote:

The idea of having two companies maintaining (my spell checker wanted ‘maiming’ which is appropriate) my plane, one telling the other what to do and both billing me for whatever they decide is so abhorrent to me I won’t even comment.

We really need a LIKE button here ! Couldn’t agree more, this is simply absurd.

As an aside – speedy recovery, @Silvaire !

I have an extremely grumpy (but quite physically healthy) wife at the moment, and that is the only recovery that needs to be made

Last Edited by Silvaire at 31 Jan 15:25

I can recheck but I am 99% sure there is no physical examination of the plane to join the F reg when it was EASA before. When switching to F, you get a whole new set of papers including ARC with the new reg on it. The only thing about the plane itself is sending pictures of the new registration marks and mandatory stickers.
I don’t know if OSAC would make an ARC renewal/inspection on a non-french a/c, but can’t see how they wouldn’t.
So staying on the old reg for some time makes things easier.

If you import any non EASA certified plane, you must set up an ARC inspection/renewal beforehand, to make sure it complies with an EASA TC. Of course.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 31 Jan 16:35
LFOU, France

It is subject to the authority. They can physically inspect it if they want to.

In practice it depends…how busy are they, is it a newer plane without modifications or an older one etc…

EASA to EASA is in general pretty straightforward.

To my knowledge there is no new ARC issued, but the registration mark is updated by the authority on the valid present ARC.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 31 Jan 15:44
always learning
LO__, Austria

Silvaire wrote:

Once you’ve purchased the plane, the previous owner has signed to release interest, and you’ve applied for the transfer with the existing country of registration, surely it is yours and you can insure it?

yes , no problem with getting the insurance. As for two companies- I don’t actually need two, (and the second one is actually more a mechanic with help,than a company), but I like to get my ARC almost automatically- if the maintenance is performed, the camo extends the ARC. And the cost is roughly the same- ca 1000 EUR for 1 year camo contract or about 800 for yearly inspection without the contract..

EETU, Estonia

After selling our Jodel DR1050, the new owner insured it, but added me as a named pilot. I downloaded and printed the cover note before ferrying it last month, part way, to be hangared until picked up. I assume I’m now off his insurance.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for the advice and discussion. If I can summarise what I think I should do based on all this:

• Transfer ownership in Romania (seems safest, and I see no downside)
  • Get my own insurance immediately using the bill of sale
  • Fly home on Romanian reg with bill of sale in hand
  • Clear customs with agent (seems required here)
  • Either leave on Romanian reg or move to Dutch reg (seller says Romania is stricter than NL and suggests moving…)
  • Optional transfer of CAMO, otherwise 800NM trip to Romania every 3 years

Fair summary?

EHRD, Netherlands

You don’t need to clear customs in the Netherlands if you leave the plane on the Romanian register.

ELLX

CAMO – if it’s 500€ a year, keep it. If it’s 3000€ a year, not so much!

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message